xisto Community
mrdee

Windows Update Corruption? Updates wont install

I was wondering if anyone here knows something about Windows updates.I use Win XP SP2 and have done a repair install of Windows.I now notice that my updates do not work properly anymore.I have Automatic Updates turned on, but now, I see the yellow icon in my taskbar which tells me updates are ready to be downloaded.When I double click on the icon and allow the install, everything still works as normal, except, after only half a minute or so, i get the message: "The following updates could not be installed:", showing me a whole bunch of updates.After that, the yellow icon keeps popping back, only to give me the same result every time.Microsoft's web site is not very helpful in the matter either.Also, another thing, eventhough I am not doing anything, my cursor keeps flashing from arrow to arrow and hourglass and back, telling me something goes on in the background.I think my whole OS has become unstable, and I don't want to format really.Does anyone know how I can restore proper updating again, as I am quite desperate.Thanks in advance.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

I use Win XP SP2 and have done a repair install of Windows.

Wow, I can't even begin to say how horrible repair installs are.

I now notice that my updates do not work properly anymore.

Only happened after you reinstalled?

I have Automatic Updates turned on, but now, I see the yellow icon in my taskbar which tells me updates are ready to be downloaded.

Have you tried using Microsoft's website to manually update your system? I remember they used to have some kind of stuff like that, not sure if they still do.

I think my whole OS has become unstable, and I don't want to format really.

Trust me, you want to back up your critical information as soon as possible and you do want reformat. When Microsoft goes unstable, then all hell goes loose, and you don't want to live with a machine doing some kind of random crap every day (most likely it'll get there, if it isn't doing so already). You might be able to prolong the life of your install by using something like a trial version of Registry Mechanic for a big until you get your stuff backed up.

Wow, I can't even begin to say how horrible repair installs are.Only happened after you reinstalled?

Now that you mentioned it, I had seen before (but never took much notice) that the update icon seemed to come on and off, that was when I had problems with Windows Firewall, and then I switched to ZoneAlarm (could that one have something to do with the problem too?).