xisto Community
mrdee

Transferring Files From One Host To Another Take my site to trap17

As I said, I had to move my web site away from Xisto temporarily because I had ran out of disk space.Now, when my upgrade is finalised, I would like to ask for a little assistance.The provider I will be moving my site from, back to Xisto also uses Cpanel, and the admin let me know to do a backup and that backup could be simply transferred via FTP to my new provider.The backup includes all my files and MySQL data, in other words, the whole web site.It is in a .tar.gz format.How do I get all this across?Do I 'unzip' the file and then transfer them bit by bit via FTP or is there a different (and maybe quicker and easier) way?All advice will be much appreciated.

The easiest way is to to two backups and two uploads.Here is how:1) for all your HTML files under public_html folder from another hosting, use your backup option in their cPanel. Instead of downloading, you can use their cPanel to FTP directly to Xisto cPanel (assuming their cPanel functions just like Xisto). Once the backup arrives in Xisto hosting account, use Xisto cPanel to extract. This is done by going to File Management > click on the arrived backup file > Extract (upper right hand corner options). Be aware that when you extract, you first move/copy their backup file in public_html of your Xisto hosting account.If you're not comfortable sending their backup via FTP, you can simply choose to download the backup and upload to your cPanel. Once that is uploaded you can use Xisto cPanel to extract. It does not matter in tar.gz or .zip format.2) backup and send/download your MySQL and use Xisto cPanel's MyPHPAdmin to RESTORE your database. Be sure to create the same database name and user permission account for all database related pages. For example, Xisto's database username is something like yourcpanelname_databasename where "yourcpanelname_" is always the default prefix of all Xisto hosting accounts.Let us know how it goes.

The easiest way is to to two backups and two uploads.
Here is how:

1) for all your HTML files under public_html folder from another hosting, use your backup option in their cPanel. Instead of downloading, you can use their cPanel to FTP directly to Xisto cPanel (assuming their cPanel functions just like Xisto).

Do I use the 'File Manager ' function for that or something else?
In the File Manager i can't immediately see a function that would allow you to transfer files.
And I can't really see any option in the Cpanel which would allow such a transaction.
(I am probably missing something anyway).

So, could you let me know which Cpanel function I need to make that happen?

Thanks.

OK, the file is in public_html.I extracted it earlier, but all it had done was create a folder with all the extracted files and folders in it.Some of the folder names look completely unfamiliar to me.Do I have to look for the public_html somewhere in this jungle and then copy and paste the contents into my Xisto public_html file or how should I go about it?Thanks.

I think I am beginning to understand it bit by bit, only:

Is there no "Select all" possibility in the File Manager?

How is it possible to overwrite files/folders that already exist?

Are there any files I do not need to copy (specific for my other hosting company)?

That last question especially relates to folders such as 'ftp.log', and folders like/.cpanel/, which probably all contains files which have specifically to do with my previous hosting company.

Thanks in advance.

I will try and explain it to you. * Is there no "Select all" possibility in the File Manager?No, I dont think so. You can back up your "home" directory in CPanel. Which you can find in the "Backup" section. That will backup all files in the "public_html" folder. If you do a full backup, you get all the files stored on your account. Like files in trash etc. * How is it possible to overwrite files/folders that already exist?You can do that with an FTP program. If in the file manager, i think you have to delete the files, and then upload the new ones. How I've done this in the past(transfer hosts), is download a copy of all my files, zip them, upload the one zip file and extract everything. I only use FTP for small files. * Are there any files I do not need to copy (specific for my other hosting company)?I think this is up to you. Your new host will work fine without the files from your other hosting company. Just upload your personal files, from the public_html folder.

Thanks for the help and support.
My site is up and running now.
(On Xisto of course).
It can be found at this location.
Even the domain name propagation only took about 1 hour.
Feel free to visit, and leave a message in the guest book or register for the newsletter and/or forum.
Should you wish to comment on my site or add some advice or suggestions, please feel free to do so.

thanks again for all the help and advice.

Transferring Files From One Host To AnotherTransferring Files From One Host To Another

Replying to mrdeeHi,I already change my hosting company and I made a FULL backup. Can you tell me how can I restore all my files using that ONE .Rar file?Thanks.

----admin reply----

Just upload the file and ask the Web Host to restore it :-)