xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
A200

Why Is The Government Obsessed With Buses?

I am utterly sick to death of the Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council constantly and blantly ignoring the need for a mass transit system... seriously they need to learn that buses are NOT the way of the future, and should only be used in tight nit suburbs where rail cannot be put in!

If they would LISTEN to the people of SEQ, they would realise how shameful and disgusting the system really is. I hate to think of how much money they've wasted on pointless reports of how "beneficial" buses are, but they continously ignore the need for mass transit and trains. In a city/cities where 1600 people are moving in EACH WEEK and traffic is mounting, its time we got rid of this shoddy and unfair bus system. One very populous area in particular has buses every 15mins, 5am to 12pm, and every 8-10mins in peakhour, but get this: EVERY SINGLE TRIP ON THAT ROUTE IS OVERCROWDED. Even at 5am. The answer is not more buses, but a proper railway line, which would be far quicker and have much more capacity.

What we also need is a proper ring road freeway system, if you look at a map of Brisbane, you would see that much travel would be by suburban roads and streets, and a lacking freeway system. This is absolutely disgusting.

1 event last year should have bought the government to its senses and done the right thing:

Tuesday 17 October 2006, a tiny crack occurs in one offramp into the city and the whole freeway is shut down...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2006-10-21/retailers-count-cost-of-brisbane-expressway-closure/1291252

http://www.couriermail.com.au/nocookies

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Home

This resulted in a 25KM gridlock that took 3 hours to end... 125,000 cars that normally use an already overcrowded expressway funneled elsewhere... which was local roads and streets... its a pity I cannot find a picture of Elizabeth St on that night, it was just a sea of cars... not moving.

This lasted for more than a week, each night, and got quite a few people p***ed off completely...

You'd think they'd be doing something immediately after that event to make sure it never happens again... but 13 months on and noones said a thing about any new freeway system at all.... O.O

Thankyou for listening to my rant.

Well mate, if people take busses then that would mean there are less cars on the roads and it would help to stop the massive jams.I agree with the government and public transport is the way forward, just not sure if that form of it should be busses.

None of the major cities of the world rely on buses as their primary PT system... most use metro or rail!I personally don't think the answer is 100% public transport, but a mix of freeway and PT. freeway for people going on vacations out of town, drives around town etc. PT for people going to work...

None of the major cities of the world rely on buses as their primary PT system... most use metro or rail!
I personally don't think the answer is 100% public transport, but a mix of freeway and PT. freeway for people going on vacations out of town, drives around town etc. PT for people going to work...

I agree with this guy. If everyone went to work on public transport, then there would be a lot less cars on the road in cities and would help climate change (global warming) greatly. Although, you would still get lots of traffic jams because of people going on holiday (vacation) at the weekends or friday.

Okay, ya know what, I think it's ridiculous that they don't have a rail line where you are... I mean, where i come from, there are a lot of public buses, but that works because the roads here aren't incredibly overcrowded, and plus, we have a rail system too. It looks to me like rail would be a really good idea where you live.