xisto Community
deepod

Home Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

slow internet speed due to multiple connections?Home Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

You wrote that your neighbor was using your wireless network and causing you to lose 50% of your internet speed.  My question is, wouldn't that only apply if you and your neighbor were surfing/uploading/downloading concurrently?  I.E. If your neigbor's computer was sitting idle, yet still connected to your WiFi, would you still be seeing a 50% reduction in speed?  Or would your neighbor have to be actively online at the same time?

-reply by Chris

linksys WRT54gHome Network Connection Speed Is Very Slow

Larry Waybright -

You may want to lower your MTU.  I had a similar issue with my older wireless router and dropping the MTU cleared that up.  I am now having a similar issue as the OP though.  Occasionally my connection speed in my task manager drops to 1 MB/s with a VERY GOOD signal strength.  This will make my internet crawl for a few minutes until it pops back up again.  I am going to try turning off my cell tonight, but this is very annoying.  I am not about to replace my NIC and router as I am not sure which one is the issue yet.

-reply by Doug

ok first of all my dad works for Century Link. He had a guy with 10Mbps and wasn't even getting 1Mbps out of it. Big drop huh? well turns out the guys port was bad and had to be replaced. Now no problems and the guy is enjoying his 10Mbps. That's what it sounds like to me. I know this post is OLD! but just in case your still having problems, then try this. 

-reply by casey hutchens