xisto Community
AskAndrewD

Ideas For Donations? Help

I would like to make some money off of my site. I know it's not professional or anything, but this one kid I know said he was able to buy a web cam with the money he got from donations! I feel uncomfortable having PayPal on my site, you know? Do you put donations on your site? I mean, I wouldn't give any out, but do some people actually do that? If you could provide information on how you do it, how you think I should do it, or why people would give out donations then (please!) TELL ME! Also, how much would they give out if they chose to do so? Thanks for all of your help!

Too bad you didn´t post a link to your website... It would be easier to help you...
What´s your site about?

I sugest that you monetize your site with advertising...
Take a look @ my blog you can find some examples there...
Leave a comment if you need more help.

it all depends what your website does if it offers free services, like free articles or open source software. then definable put one on i will always donate to websites who help me like a website that had plans to build windmills i donated ive even donated to a game called wildisle loved that :D. when i get my credits. however if you wanna avoid any scripting Google Adsense will pay you every time someone clicks on an advert thats one idea but theyre not the highest payer

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

thats a comparison site for different ppc (Pay-Per-Click) companies, that helped me alot
if you don't get a lot of visitors then donating is a good idea, theres loads of scripts (free of course :D ) to help you if you wanted i could probably make or hunt one down for you

hope that helps
Karlosantana
newbie newbie :)

I wouldn't give any out, but do some people actually do that?

They certainly do, and a lot more often than most people think. However, you need to make sure that you are offering something that people find useful or valuable in some way. Tutorials, e-books and free software and perfect examples. Each of those might be given away free by the creator. If you find it useful then you might choose to donate to the project or person responsible. A key element is trust - if your website looks deceptive or in any way dishonest then people will not donate. You need to make it clear what the money will be used for and why you need it.

If you could provide information on how you do it, how you think I should do it, [...] Also, how much would they give out if they chose to do so?

Paypal is the ever popular one for some reason, but I've never been a big fan. Other popular methods are giving an address for people to send cheques to or posting an email address so people can contact you and discuss a way to donate.

If you want examples of what people donate to projects, take a look at KDE's past donations. That shows how much people are willing to donate to a major free software project.

If you want to display ads then check out karlosantana's link. Really a very good colletion. Nice info on all of the top money making sites.

If I'm right, paypal takes 0.35$ from a donation of 1$. That is what is putting off most people. But almost all the links that I've come across make use of paypal coz it is really easy to use.

However people will donate only if you have been generous enough to provide quality free content. For example, I donated some money to the site where I found my free wordpress template because I felt that guy deserved it. I felt that I would have had to pay for a premium template so I donated some amount to the designer.

Now-a-days you can even see a donate button on wikipedia. Check out their 'donate' page at https://spenden.wikimedia.de/ You will find all the possibilities that are available

A system that mbProductions in conjunction with mbRewards is starting to provide is "ad-drives"These are based at "communities" rather than "one-stop" websites.You can make a very nice amount of money, for more info pm me as I dont want tonnes of copies of my system before I get it up and running.

I would suggest using Google ad sens. Because with google ad sens program you can earn really loads of money if you have site that will attract people. Why simply becuase they pay the most to the end user that is provider of their service on their site. I have been using google ad sens on my site for some time I am not earning quite a lot because I am not advertising my site with my friends or anywhere else however if you take this fact in mind then I have earned some money. Trough it. The catch is that you are able to get payment from google only when you make enough money out of it that is when you recieve some 100 or 150 dollars I am not really certain how much money you need. And they will send you this payment to any address and not only in the US (United States Of America) they send you some sort of cheque. And one more thing important to note is that if you decide to allow google advertising on you web page you shouldn't click on them because folks in google are smart and they have derived programs and methods that will detect honest clicks against those who are not.

I wouldn't use paypal either because I hate paypal. I've had some unpleasant experiences with it and I've heard horror stories about it. Personally, I'm not the sort who gives donations if I can help it. But if you have a very informative/helpful resource site, you can request for donations. Remember to always put an explanation on why you need donations e.g. To maintain the servers, or to because finding and compiling the info on your site takes up a lot of time which you could otherwise dedicate to work or something. You could also offer a special gift with every donation e.g. a free exclusive tutorial, an exclusive photoshop brush, an opportunity to highlight their website on your front page etc.If you don't want to use paypal, you could use e-gold. Put a link to your e-gold account and have people to donate money to it. Or you can put an address for where you want a cheque sent to (though personally I'd find this very troublesome), or have interested donors email you and let them tell you how they want to donate to you.