xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
elaks

Comic Books And graphics novels alike.

Hey guys. First post for a while (Mainly because I plan to start a site again).

A few days after my fourteenth birthday I was invited by a group of friends to visit central London. During that visit I stumbled upon "Forbidden Planet", one of London's largest comic stores. Upon entering the store I was slightly put off by models of underage anime women in risqu? positions and the over zealous use of face paint on some Emo customers- but as I traveled into the basement I was taken aback.

The pure amount of comics and the variety in styles and countries of origin was truly inspiring. At one end of the ever crowded basement; walls were lined with manga (Yuck) and drawing stationary, at the other- doctor who DVDs and H.P.Lovecraft novels were in charge. The middle of the basement was entirely reserved for graphic novels. Of course I spent some time looking around, but it didn't take long for me to realize that I must own one of these books. Seeing as I had no preference (As long as it wasn't manga/anime) I didn't know where to begin, so I grabbed a couple of packs from the pick and mix '5 for ?1 ($2)'. I bought four packs to make sure I had variety and made sure the covers varied in the production companies and the style of art to ensure there would be the biggest range for me to choose from.

From that point I have become a mad collector, with some definite tastes and favorite series. What I was wondering was if anyone else of Xisto shares my enthusiasm or am I a lone basement dweller? :rolleyes:

And in case your lazy: DOES ANYONE ELSE READ COMIC BOOKS.

I certainly do. my all-time favorite comic series is Tin Tin. It is very witty and I've learnt a lot of stuff about foreign politics and history from it. I have the whole series at home, and they are tattered and torn because they actually were passed on to me from my brother. I also read Archie comics. The older ones were nice but the new stories are getting silly. I don't know if its because I've outgrown it or what.I read manga more than western comics though. It seems like you have some misunderstanding about manga. Was it simply because of the models that put you off? Japanese comics have lots of genres for adults and children alike. They have thrillers, romance, mature, science-fiction, fantasy etc. Some authors do like to 'sex-up' the image of female characters and I can imagine that it would offend some people. However, that depends on the author and the genre. Not all manga authors do that to their female characters. Also, the models are usually designed in this way on purpose, and they look less 'sexy' on screen or paper. Perhaps the creators make them this way to attract male customers, because it is usually guys who collect toys and stuff. But do not judge a manga by its collectible. I'm a girl, not some paedophilic geek who loves underaged anime woman, and if I am not put off by manga, I don't think you would be.Anyway, I've seen collectibles of American female superheroes like Catwoman and Superwoman. Aren't they clad scantily and have very big boobs too? But their sexiness is toned down in cartoons and comics. So I believe the same applies to manga too.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

I read manga more than western comics though. It seems like you have some misunderstanding about manga. Was it simply because of the models that put you off? Japanese comics have lots of genres for adults and children alike. They have thrillers, romance, mature, science-fiction, fantasy etc. Some authors do like to 'sex-up' the image of female characters and I can imagine that it would offend some people. However, that depends on the author and the genre. Not all manga authors do that to their female characters.

I've never been a fan of anime just because I find it hard to connect to characters. I know a lot of manga and anime is very well drawn but it feels like reading a childs comic no matter what the subject matter is because of style differences. For instance, the eyes and noses usually let anime down; where as most DC & Marvel comics concentrate so much on realism that with some it seems plausible that they've been traced from pictures..I also recognize a lot more of the customs and face shapes used in American comics (Sorry, a little racist but it's true). Almost every character I've seen so far can be traced back to a recognizable actor or a friend of mine because of the core western face architect. Anime/Manga however, feels like observing a completely different world.

I certainly do. my all-time favorite comic series is Tin Tin. It is very witty and I've learnt a lot of stuff about foreign politics and history from it. I have the whole series at home, and they are tattered and torn because they actually were passed on to me from my brother. I also read Archie comics. The older ones were nice but the new stories are getting silly. I don't know if its because I've outgrown it or what.

I also have a full set (Minus approx. two) of the Tin Tin comics. Mostly my parents but I've made it my duty to add to the collection where necessary. Tin Tin would rank pretty high on my comic list.

Anyway, I've seen collectibles of American female superheroes like Catwoman and Superwoman. Aren't they clad scantily and have very big boobs too? But their sexiness is toned down in cartoons and comics. So I believe the same applies to manga too.

That is a good point. Maybe it's because I haven't read enough, but all the females in modern comics (And originals from the 50s) are very much in control of the situation and a figure of authority. In a lot of the manga I've seen they've either been shy young things/busty purely to add sex to the comic or playing the part of "The Silly Woman".
Just some of my opinions, maybe you could suggest some titles for me because the manga section of forbidden planet is absolutely chock-a-block with titles and series. :rolleyes:

I like to read Manga when I have the oppurtunity. Obviously I like the standard Rurouni Kenshin and Deathnote, but I've also come to like some stranger ones, such as "The First President of Japan" I definitely reccomend all of these series to anyone interested in manga who has not already seen them.

I read manga, wich is actually the same thing, but japanese.Mmmm, Elfen Lied, Bleach, Death Note, full Metal Alchemist, D. Gray Man, Fairy Tale, Ichigo 100% are some of the ones I read/have read.I strongly recommend the ones I mentioned xD They're so GREAT!

I should probably ask a mod to change the topic title.. Thanks for the input, even though everyone here appears to read manga.

I'll go ahead and input some of my favourite western comics.

1) Checkmate - DC Comics

Posted Image

My absolute favourite comic book series available. The story sees different characters of a covert government operation unit (Checkmate) fighting a battle against villains. Sounds tacky but it's incredibly well drawn and written.

2) The Punisher - Barracude - Marvel

Posted Image

A six book series for my favourite villain/hero ever concieved- 'Barracuda'. The seven foot, muscle bound, black American living in the ghetto has many friends and enemies in the world including the many mafia families. In short, the series portrays him helping a 20 year old hemophiliac son of a mobster kill people for the greater good.

3) Alien Pig farm 3000. - Image (One of their only good comic..)

Posted Image

The first humerous comic I read, and still my favourite. Aliens attack a small redneck community, what they don't realise is that the community is loaded with weapons and crazed hics. A compelling story with ridiculous amounts of violence and sexual prowess.

Edited by elaks (see edit history)

I read comic books on occasion, when I was 8 I had over 500 comic books (I didn't read more like 20 or so, give or take a few), they were from my mom's friend that gave them to me. I have 7 of Issue #1s from various series.

I used to read comic books when I was a kid, but mainly superhero ones, the american type heroes. I don't mind manga or anime, but I didnt understand it enough back then to get into it.

When I were younger I were a big fan of TinTin, Modesty Blaise and Asterix comic books.Nowadays I'd still enjoy a TinTin from time to time, but one comic thatI really love is a big portion of Donald Duck. What can get you in good mood,when your life feels miserable? Yes, someone that encounter the miserable circumstances all the time. Thats a bright spot, peoples!

I've never been a fan of anime just because I find it hard to connect to characters. I know a lot of manga and anime is very well drawn but it feels like reading a childs comic no matter what the subject matter is because of style differences. For instance, the eyes and noses usually let anime down; where as most DC & Marvel comics concentrate so much on realism that with some it seems plausible that they've been traced from pictures..I also recognize a lot more of the customs and face shapes used in American comics (Sorry, a little racist but it's true). Almost every character I've seen so far can be traced back to a recognizable actor or a friend of mine because of the core western face architect. Anime/Manga however, feels like observing a completely different world.

Well there are actually lots of genres of manga. There are certainly kiddy ones, but many of them deal with more mature and sensible topics like romance, commadarie, death, environmental issues, morals etc that are applicable to us in real life, just that they are depicted in fantasy situations, otherwise, it would be like reading a documentary. And the drawing styles of large eyes and noses are typical to manga/anime, so it depends whether you accept it or not. And I do agree that artists like to copy or adapt styles, and in manga, they do use caucasian features like large colored eyes, sharp noses and face shapes and blonde/brunette hair types. But this type of 'copying' isn't unique to them. Some western comics are beginning to take to the 'manga' style too, like Sabrina the Teenage witch.

That is a good point. Maybe it's because I haven't read enough, but all the females in modern comics (And originals from the 50s) are very much in control of the situation and a figure of authority. In a lot of the manga I've seen they've either been shy young things/busty purely to add sex to the comic or playing the part of "The Silly Woman".

Heh I don't quite agree with this one. Females in comics and manga are always stereotyped. Even if they are superheroes, they are always portrayed as sex pots, love interests, second fiddles, somehow inferior to the men. There are certainly powerful and clever females in manga, but they are always stereotyped too somehow too.

Just some of my opinions, maybe you could suggest some titles for me because the manga section of forbidden planet is absolutely chock-a-block with titles and series. :rolleyes:

what sort of genre do you like? Some of the suggestions other members gave are pretty good. Personally, I think Rurouni Kenshin is a good one to start off with. The main genres are historical, action, friendship, comedy and the women characters aren't just there for sex appeal or acting stupid.
Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)