xisto Community
deepod

Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp Networking Problem

Wireless workgroup Vista And XP Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

I have set up a wireless network between my 2 laptops XP pro and Vista Home premium.

Both configured with the same workgroup name,set permission on both laptop,enabled Discovery on Vista.

On the XP I can see the Vista but cant access its folder.

On the vista I cant see the XP at all.

-question by Bright

Sharing allowed on Public ONLY???Sharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

My XP can only look into the Public folder of my Vista. Attempting to look in other folders yields a permission error prompting me to contact the server administrator for access permissions. Checked permissions on Vista laptop and they're all the same. I've double checked that I've shared them and have file sharing permissions set properly. I can see public, but nothing else. What do I have to do to gain access to folders other than Public?

Thanks for the help!

JD

I am sharing printer between xp and vista on a wirless router(network).The driver of the printer you are trying to share must be installed in your pc locally  for the version of any OS you running  

-reply by mekber

Need helpSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

I am trying to setup a wireless network between two laptops of mine. One of which has a windows xp OS and the other one has windows 7. So I need help to setup it from the begining to the end.Could someone help me?

-question by Yuliya

vista to xp problemSharing Files And Printer Between Windows Vista And Xp

Hi,

I had my vista set up as the server. I didnt have a problem finding my printer. However, everytime I click on the brother mfc 8840d network printer on my xp, it asks me to install the driver. I tried installing the driver but nothing happened. 

HELP PLS!

thanks

-reply by nikky

It is extremely hard to find this info ANYWHERE, but after months of searching, trial and error, I found a few simple steps.

In order to have full communication between the Vista laptop and XP computers over the home wireless network, the Vista needs Service Pack 1. That will make that stupid "Microsoft Service Publication Host" (that appears where the network map should be) disappear.

The XP(s) will need the Hotfix from Microsoft. On the page, you will see a download for LLTD or something like that, but what you need is the Hotfix at the top.

The printer connected to the XP will need Vista drivers on the XP. You also have to check on the Vista, which port the printer is connected to. It's supposed to be under "local", and it has to be the printer name on the other computer.

The last thing I'm trying to figure out (and what I was searching for here) is how to set permissions from the XP. (Since the Vista is not the administrator). I too had the problem where there is no "Security" tab. I can print from the Vista now, but the Shockwave Flash Object does not delete from the XP Printer folder automatically, which stops any further spooled prints from going through, and I have to manually delete it or run the Net stop/start spooler command. I believe that is connected to the Permissions issue, (Vista does not have permission to delete the file, and this cannot be set from the Vista).

I have had no problem wit sharing xp files with vista ,actually whole computer showed up ,but then I installed diskeeper and used it as administrator and lost the sharing between the 2  , I am pretty sure thats when it started but do not know how to resolve it unless uninstalling disk keeper,and I don`t want to do that HELP