xisto Community
abminara

Independent Study?

Is independent study that good of a thing? During the 4 years in HS I saved a lot of time to myself by doing Geometry, Algebra I, ALgebra II, and elementary functions (precalculus) as an independent study, thus making more space for more advanced courses like Calculus (which I took my sophomore year) and statistics (I have this year). But is it that good of a thing? Yes, you do get the knowledge, etc., if you are a hard worker, but it doesn't go anywhere onto your college transcript, or anything to benefit you in the future. Currently I am enrolled in 4 AP (advanced placement/college in high school) classes (Statistics, English 3, Biology 2 and European History) in school and I am learning 3 more classes on my own (Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Physics 2). That takes pretty much all of my free time and I have only an hour, or so to rest/hang out. I am sure, these classes will help me in the future, but how about now? I just feel that my life is too busy with education. Is it worth spending so much time for learning these courses on your own? (Please do NOT comment on the efficiency of taking AP classes in Hish School for saving money and not spending it on those courses in college, I am aware of that.) My friend last year had 6 APs, 2 of which he took on his own, and got 5/5 on every single one of them. I feel like I could do the same thing (So far I had 5's on all the APs I've taken except for a 3 on English 3 - That was my mistake, I didn't have to take it.), but again, it is really tiresome and takes too much time.

Education is a very good thing. It can never be taken away from you, and (usually) makes you a better, more complete person. On the other hand, you also need to balance the school/studies thing with some physical activity and some inter-personal stuff, too, in order to really develop as a person. There is a ying/yang thing about the balance of forces in one's own 'self' and no matter how strong one aspect of your personage is, your personal growth is limited to the weakest component, so that is why I emphasis the need for development of the additional elements, too. The three components are the Physical self, the Intellectual self, and the Emotional self. Develop all three to become absolutely the best person you can be... don't depend on schooling alone. Take a break and go visit some friends, playing a little is important, too.

The three components are the Physical self, the Intellectual self, and the Emotional self. Develop all three to become absolutely the best person you can be... don't depend on schooling alone. Take a break and go visit some friends, playing a little is important, too.

Thanks. I think, I get enough physical activity from frisbee practices (6-9 hrs/week) and just running. As far as going out - there is also no real problem, I hang out with people on weekends after work and during my free time... But the question is not what I have to do to become a good person - it is - should I take those classes on my own, or wait and take them in college?

guys, you really do not seem to understand the question. I am pretty satisfied with my life, I'm not a bookworm/nerd/whatever, I just want to go to a good college (primary goal - MIT) and that's why I am taking those classes that are not offered in school. Now, should I be doing that, or should I wait till my next year? That's all I'm asking.