xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Hitachi Plan's To Have A 4 Tb Hard Drive By 2009

In other news Hitachi Global Storage Technologies mentioned that it plans to bring out a whopping 4 TB hard drive by 2009 for Desktops and 1 TB for laptops, using two types of technologies. The called GMR or (giant magnetoresistance), "a physical effect that manipulates the charge and spin of electrons, allowing an increase in density and storage on hard drives"; which interestingly enough helped to physics scientists when a nobel prize for this technology. The other technology which is need because of how sensitive the heads have to be in order to read the data on the disk, and the reason this needs to be done is that as the "hard drives shrink, magnetic fields become harder to detect, so the reading head has to be more sensitive." The CPP-GMR (current perpendicular-to-the-plane GMR) technology is so sensitive that it will be able to bring the density of the hard drive to 500G bits per square inch, and right now the current is 200G bits per square inch.

So what does this mean well simple put if all goes well desktop could have up to 20 TB given the person has the right computer case, but of course expect these bad boys to be uber expensive and no, a price was not given at this time of this article being printed. Nonetheless, with whats going on with SSD (Solid State Drives) these days, who knows what will happen; however, as mentioned in the article Hitachi isn't worried about it due to the costs of these SSD. Of course one begs to question who will produce a stable 1TB hard drive, I know there are a couple of them out there but not worth the price at this time.

SOURCE

Here

I think if people clear off all the crap off their computers more space wouldn't be needed lol, although the latest games and films demand more space, and these companies are keeping up with this.

i believe that nobody could fill a 4 TB hard drive. even 1 TB, that is so much space. another thing i have read is that holographic devices for storage are coming into view because they found a way to rewrite the drive, because before it was permanent. but wow, 4 TB, i would pay to see someone fill that with stuff.

Wow, that's cool news! 4 TB, thats a little of a overkill, for a normal user, if you dont plan hosting. :P

i believe that nobody could fill a 4 TB hard drive. even 1 TB, that is so much space. another thing i have read is that holographic devices for storage are coming into view because they found a way to rewrite the drive, because before it was permanent. but wow, 4 TB, i would pay to see someone fill that with stuff.

I bought an 160 GB harddrive, four years ago. It took me three days filling it up.
As someone already said, games will require more and more harddrive space.
And for putting an HD DVD 1080p DDPlus 5.1 movie on your harddrive will allocate
26 GB. So filling a nice four TB harddrive about two years wouldn't be a unsuccessfully
mission.

Can you imagine the Nightmare.Working away hard at night on reorganising you video and music library, all of a sudden a loud squeak comes from the hard drive. your computer restarts into windows, you frantically grab the mouse head to my computer, double click on your 4tb hard drive and "Error I/O access" and the sad realisation comes to the fact you have just lost everything.

People who work in multimedia could really benefit from these type of drives, they can use it as a backup drive. It will really come in handy and it will also come in handy to the people who dont know how to manage their files I guess. High definition material is just around the corner, higher quality music too. So this type of drive was going to be needed anyways, lets just wait and see.