xisto Community
Tramposch

House Network. Having Problems

I have a network in my house, its conecting 5 computers, well now four, because i cannot connect my computer to it.Well i just got a new computer, with windows vista, my ip in my house is 192.168.1.50 and thats how other computers recognize me, ii open Zone alarms fire wall, i add all teh otther computers to my firewall, and i do the same with the other computers, and i cant share files iwth them, and i cant see their ocmputer on my netowkr. help please>

This is a very weard problem and I think I had the same situation. Everything was ok on other computers but on my vista-laptop I just couldn't see all the other computers in the network. I don't remember completely what I've done but I think that if I had other computers logged on to the network and using it - that helped. Plus you have to make sure that you really use the same name of the network...you should also enable file sharing on vista...I wish I'd be able to help you more, but I really cannot remember nothing else right now...Also search google!! That always helps me:) Best whishes

Vista has a problem connecting to native XP networks and I believe it lies within the TCP/IP settings. If I remember correctly, Vista has moved on with IPv6 whereas XP still uses the older IPv4 standard.With that said, try disabling the TCP/IP with IPv6 in your network adapter settings to see if that makes a difference.Hope this helps. Otherwise, you'll have to dig through the mess of results from Google... :P

try to disable firewall, see if problem resolved.why don't you use ftp to share files. I don't think to use microsoft file share is a good idea.

why don't you use ftp to share files. I don't think to use microsoft file share is a good idea.

You need to setup an ftp server to share files and that's more work than needed if it's on a local network, it's much quidker with file sharing.

As for the original question, I have no idea unfortunatly. I had to help with a vista computer once and ran into this problem as well and couldn't figure it out, good luck and I hope you can find it (Note: I didn't try very hard at fixing it, just a few quick trial-errors).

The solution is very simple if I recall. Exactly the same happened to my sister's laptop and I eventually found out what was causing the problem. By default, XP uses the Network Workgroup name "MSHOME" or something like that. Microsoft of course thought it would be helpful to change that to something else in Vista. This meant that all Vista PCs appear to be on their own little network. All you need to do is go into Network Settings and change which workgroup you are on (you might need to restart for it to take effect). That fixed it for me.

I have already did that, i disabled IPv6 and it worked, but they cant see me..

I think it's doing with firewall..and access permission rights....

try disable all firewall first.....and did Vista File sharing same as Win 2003 ?
If so, U must create one user at Computer Management > Local Security Setting...
I cannot verified that because i'm only using WinXp :rolleyes: