xisto Community
Surda

Hosting Forum Using Trap17? Help

hello there, how can i host a forum using Xisto, im a hosted member i can go thorw my cpanel, but i wana host a forum to get members and stuff.so can someone plz tell me on how to code a forum or creat a forum using Xisto cpanel or any other way.

To be honest, jlhaslip's post does a good job of explaining it. However, to reiterate the basics:

Download some forum software (phpBB, AEF, YaBB, etc.)

Upload that to your hosting account using FTP

Follow the installation instructions that came with the forum

If you specifically want a forum like Xisto then you need to buy a licence for IPB, which costs an awful lot compared to the free offerings out there.

ok so how can i download some forum software?

First you need to decide which forum software you want to use. This wizard will ask you a few simple questions about what you need from your forum, and then spurt out a list of all the different forum packages that do what you want. At the end of the wizard, click the "Compare Them" link and you will be shown a table where you can compare all your possible forums. When you have decided which one you like best, click the link to their website in the 4th line of the table. Find the download link on their site and download a copy of the forum software.

and how can i Upload that to my hosting account using FTP?

When you activated your hosting account you were given your FTP information. Use an FTP application, such as KFTPgrabber, Net2FTP or even the file manager in your cPanel, to upload the forum package you downloaded earlier. The instructions provided with it will give you more detailed guidance.

Then you will most likely need a MySQL database set up. In your cPanel, scroll down until you see the section about MySQL Database Management, and click that link. Create a database and remember what you call it. It will automatically get prefixed with your cPanel username, so calling it forum would actually give it the name yourcpanelusernamehere_forum.

You then usually need to go through an install process for the forum, but that varies from forum to forum.