xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bradley908

How To Reformat Your Harddrive... Is your computer slow, reformatting will fix the problem

a- If you want to partition your computer, ie. have a partition for backup then you will need to use a Partition manager to change the size of the XP partition and create another partition Either fat 32 or NTFS, i would suggest fat 32 as you can boot from a custom boot floppy and run Old Classic PC games that are not designed for NT based machines.

This is a good way to format the hard disc. It is not wise to make a partition on the hard disk to use as a backup space. When the hard disk crashes all information can be lost. This includes the files on the seperate partition.

Note : You Will Need Drivers before doing this, so look them up on google or use Hiren's BootCD to see what configuration you are using / and with some soft from the Hiren CD you could format better than this "xp formating tool" or back up 4 FREE, i will post a full tutorial about this soft but for now just .. a note. Have a nice day

thanks you very much :P I usually just format and gather everything i've installed and it takes about a week :) thanks for making it more efficent to reformat without all the pains hopefully i don't screw up my pc(to bad)Thanks for reading and caring :P ~~calebFTW out :P

Note : You Will Need Drivers before doing this, so look them up on google or use Hiren's BootCD to see what configuration you are using / and with some soft from the Hiren CD you could format better than this "xp formating tool" or back up 4 FREE, i will post a full tutorial about this soft but for now just .. a note. Have a nice day

This really depends. If the person is going to be installing Windows 7 there are very few drivers that don't come with it. Out of 6 PC's I'd have ONE issue with ONE pc not having the wifi drivers in Win 7. Everything else on that PC and all others was flawless.

The same can be said about Linux and Ubuntu.And maybe it is possible to format a hard disk using the live dvd of Ubuntu.It is not sure that it is possible to format a hard disk with a diskette with a start up program for Windows.And it should be possible to format a hard disk when the hard disk is built into a computer with another hard disk.During the procedure to install Windows XP the formatting of the hard drive takes a very long time. So it seems that formatting is done deeply.The procedure to install Windows 7 takes a very short time compared to the time the procedure of Windows XP takes.So it is not clear what exactly happens during the procedure of Windows 7. It is not clear if the installation procedure of Windows 7 formats the hard drive.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

The same can be said about Linux and Ubuntu.
And maybe it is possible to format a hard disk using the live dvd of Ubuntu.

It is not sure that it is possible to format a hard disk with a diskette with a start up program for Windows.

And it should be possible to format a hard disk when the hard disk is built into a computer with another hard disk.

During the procedure to install Windows XP the formatting of the hard drive takes a very long time. So it seems that formatting is done deeply.

The procedure to install Windows 7 takes a very short time compared to the time the procedure of Windows XP takes.

So it is not clear what exactly happens during the procedure of Windows 7. It is not clear if the installation procedure of Windows 7 formats the hard drive.

Windows 7 does a surface reformat (meaning it deletes no files, it just erases the headers that tell the HDD where the files are located). On XP you have a choice between a quick reformat (surface like 7) or a full reformat (which wipes out headers *and* files and is therefore much more efficient). That's why it takes so much longer.

And yes, you can use a floppy disk, Win 2000, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7, Linux/Ubuntu, LiveCD, or one of many other discs to do a reformat.

If this is done with the purpose to install Windows 7 much faster Microsoft succeeded. The installation of Windows 7 is much faster compared to the installation of Windows XP.When the installation procedure of Windows 7 doesn't remove the files it can probably not be considered to be a complete format of the hard disk.

Edited by inea (see edit history)