xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
reith

Wireless Vs Wired

Wired is better all round - and i think wireless internet was a stupid invention, and ill tell ya why!With wireless there is nothing worse than troubleshooting with vista and windows 7 - lets not forget aswell, linux.2 bloody days it took me to find out how to work my WG111T to work with vista, and roughly a week to get it working on ubuntu.Now also, wifi is connected through USB - and usb uses power! And also, another thing with usb is that it doesnt work as well if you have a USB 1.x port where you need a high-speed 2.0! So then your speed is halved.And also, wired cabling gives you better speed!

There can't be a overall for this topic.There has to be 2 sides of the story.Wireless, If you are going to have wireless it is not recommend for gaming, Travel and emails it will come in handy :PWired, Many people use wired if there PC - Laptop is right next to the Router as it will be faster or they may use it for Hard core gaming.- Ash :D

There can't be a overall for this topic.
There has to be 2 sides of the story.

Wireless, If you are going to have wireless it is not recommend for gaming, Travel and emails it will come in handy :D

Wired, Many people use wired if there PC - Laptop is right next to the Router as it will be faster or they may use it for Hard core gaming.

- Ash :D

I do have to say though, even though the xbox 360 uses a wireless adapter - that is actually very good, and i download at full speed and i have no lag :P

I think its just computer wireless adapters, and how poorly made they are - if they are as good as the 360 one, then it would probs be as good as wired

Keep in mind that the medium you use to interact with the Internet SUPPORTS their specified maximum bandwidth, and therefore it doesn't necessitate that you will get faster speeds with wired connections vs. wireless. You just have more of a potential to gain from having a higher capacity.If you're connected to a server that's having a consistent transfer rate of 28KBps on your wireless connection, that won't change if you switch over to a wired connection. It will still be 28KBps until changes are made on the server end.However, if you have a server that consistently transfers at speeds over 80MBps, most wireless connections will cap that speed at 54MBps (with exceptions to progressive technologies that allow wireless bandwidth up to 108MBps), but as soon as you switch over to a wired connection, you can reap the potential of your 100MBps and have data transfered to you from that server at the 80+ MBps the server is capable of. (However, I have yet to see any connection on the Internet that has been faster than 600KBps, which is barely 0.6MBps. Add a few clients to the network with traffic, however, and you'll see some slowdowns in most home network scenarios with DSL or cable.) Remember your bottlenecks, people. :D Also, wireless connections are actually rather secure with WPA and WEP (64-bit and 128-bit encryption), but nothing beats the security of a hardline. Keep in mind, though, that once someone breaks into your network from any point, everything else that's connected to that network is free game. (That's why I have a WPA key AND specify MAC address filters, but a well-educated hacker would be able to gain access IF he/she knew what MAC addresses to spoof, I'm sure.)