xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Firefox 3.0 Alpha 8 & Firefox Campus Edition

Well as we get closer and closer the release of Firefox 3.0, mozilla comes out with Alpha 8. In this update it is security rich this time as they bring in anti-malware warnings and protection against rogue extension updates. They also beefed up the security to the extension auto updates to help prevent people from redirecting you to malicious sites because of the way the auto update works. This time they have set it up in a way that it checks the url of the installation manifest and makes sure its the correct one or it doesn't get updated.

"Firefox automatically checks for updates to add-ons using a URL specified in the add-on's install manifest," Mozilla spells out in a developer's document. "Currently there are no requirements placed on these URLs. In particular, [they are not]required to be https. This allows either the update manifest or the update package to be compromised, potentially resulting in the injection of malicious updates. A demonstration of one form of compromise is already public."
Most extensions are hosted on Mozilla's own servers-- at the servers feeding its Add-ons site-- but some are not; it's those off-site extensions that Mozilla wants to lock down.

To stymie attacks through a compromised extension update, Mozilla will require updates-- both the actual update package and the much smaller "manifest," or notification of an update-- to be delivered over an SSL-secured connection. Or the update must be digitally signed.

so far no date has been given for FF3 final so that would lead to one to assume that we could see an early 2008 release after Alpha 8 has made its run and of course other various alpha releases.

SOURCE

Site #1

While reading up on ff 3A8 I went to softpedia to download it and notice another editon of firefox called the Campus Edition, the FAQ gives a more in depth idea what this version is all about. So if your a student then maybe this firefox browser is for you, and you can download it here.

Firefox Campus Edition merely seems to be the normal Firefox with the exception of a few new addons that would aim more towards a college student or someone who wants access to a bit more information while accessing the internet. I will most likely check this out tonight when I am doing a few updates on my computer as it seems it would run rather nicely on my computer. However, I am a bit sceptical about Firefox 3.0 Alpha because most Alpha releases will have some sort of problem. Then again, this isn't Microsoft we are talking about, so it might be a little safe.Anyone tried either edition and have something to comment about it?

It has been a couple of months, but I played with ff3Alpha for a few days and it looks good. Passed the Acid Test, same as Opera and Konquerer. I am waiting until a RC is stable though. If it would install beside ff2, I would have a beta running, but it doesn't... :P

Well, if they include some Mozilla-made really cool theme, this project could be more effective :P I've never heard of it, but although, the main idea is really nice - some people maybe don't know anything 'bout the addons B) I hope the Firefox 3 to be released soon, it is really exclusive for me. Gotta see the new features B) It should be few levels upper from Internet Explorer 7, and I'm sure it will be. Mozilla always release quality software :P