xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Northman

What Is The Martial Art Called Where.. you fight with a stick?

I'm not sure if it's Kaedo but it looks pretty weird (or was it Kendo?) with the black suits.I want to learn the martial arts where you fight with a stick, what's the most done sport where you fight with a stick?Preferably an ancient one :P

Yes, that's right, Jodo might also fit the description, but I also think our friend means Kendo, with the black suits and facial protection.Kendo is the better known and most popular of the two.

I think nanchaku is much better than stick fighting. Remeber Bruce lee in Enter the Dragon, where he used to pair of stick joined by a chain to leash out his vengeance on the bad guys...boing chhuka boing...what a great movie

I think nanchaku is much better than stick fighting. Remeber Bruce lee in Enter the Dragon, where he used to pair of stick joined by a chain to leash out his vengeance on the bad guys...boing chhuka boing...what a great movie

Unlike movies, however, it is not that easy to wield nunchucks. An amateur carelessly wielding a nunchuck poses grave danger of bruising in his lower arms, to say the least. Perhaps I'd rather not elaborate on the chances of an errant nunchuck fracturing its owner's arms, ribs or, worse, cranium.

We also have martial arts here that use sticks, actually, a pair of sturdy rattan sticks used as a blunt weapon. Arnis de Mano, as it was called also used to be done wielding two machetes, or similarly sized bladed weapons. Anyway, I should think a pair of unjoined sticks should be easier to wield than two sticks connected by a chain :P

Even an expert like Bruce Lee needed a lot of retakes to get the nunchaku scene in 'Game of death' right, a scene that only lasted for one and a half minute. This is explained in the extra features with the film and in a biography of Bruce Lee. You can see in the footage that even he got hit on the head by his own nunchaku and then he went wrong a couple of times and started laughing, so they had to do quite a bit of extra filming.

As for the fighting with two separate sticks which salamangkero mentions, that occurs in the same film, by the way, that is done in the Fillipine style Escrima, so it does exist as a martial art in its own right.

As for Kendo, someone mentioned a Bo in another post, a Bo is just a straight bamboo stick, while Kendo uses a bamboo sword called a Shinai.

Some more explanation about the Shinai can be found here as well as a kind of 'anatomy' of the weapon.

Even an expert like Bruce Lee needed a lot of retakes to get the nunchaku scene in 'Game of death' right, a scene that only lasted for one and a half minute. This is explained in the extra features with the film and in a biography of Bruce Lee. You can see in the footage that even he got hit on the head by his own nunchaku and then he went wrong a couple of times and started laughing, so they had to do quite a bit of extra filming.

As for the fighting with two separate sticks which salamangkero mentions, that occurs in the same film, by the way, that is done in the Fillipine style Escrima, so it does exist as a martial art in its own right.

As for Kendo, someone mentioned a Bo in another post, a Bo is just a straight bamboo stick, while Kendo uses a bamboo sword called a Shinai.

Some more explanation about the Shinai can be found here as well as a kind of 'anatomy' of the weapon.

another filipino style of stick fighting is called Arnis. Escrima is an offensive type and Arnis is somewhat an defensive type.

they both use the same weapon, one is 8 inches and another i think is a foot. but some use a longer stick in arnis.

It is called Arnis in the Philippines, where you can use a Rattan wood, a two stick or even one stick can do the Arnis technique. It is use mainly for self defense. But can also be use for attacking.