xisto Community
odomike

Psu Power Problem Please help

I just got this desktop computer from my uncle (will still go ahead to buy the Quad Core computer still) and I have been having this problem with.It came with this fake 400W PSU (I call it fake because it aint supplying the manufacturer's stated power output) manufactured by Maxtron. It could not power most of the devices on my PC. After some time, I started noticing some lag in the system performance. Later on, this PSU got burnt (probably because higher power demand by the hardwares than it could supply). I decided to make sure I get an original and genuine PSU this time to ensure that everything in there gets the required power. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a PSU that can supply up to 500W or more. the best I could get for the genuine ones (not the type I was using before was 300W) and I had to buy that one baceause it was better off than the 400W fake one. Unfortunately the same thing was still happening.After a while, I noticed that my CD/DVD drives would not burn more than 1CD at once while as I have up to 4 CD/DVD drives. Meaning that the drives cannot burn CDs simultaneously. I knew that this was a power problem because everything would be fine once you try to burn with only one CD/DVD drive at a time. Apart from that, My hardDrives also started misbehaving too. They would be making this tiny disturbing noise/sound within the HDD. I just do not fancy this at all. I have been wonderin what to do to make things right in there. Ok, I do know that it is lower power supply thtat is causing the whole problems in there but unfortunately, I cannot get a better PSU than the one I am currently using around me. I have even travelled all the way to a neighbouring state and even to the western part of my country, all in the name of getting a good PSU, but all to know avail. I dont want to reduce the hardwares I have in there cause I do utilize all of 'em at one time or the other.Irrespective of not wanting to remove some of my hardware, I decided to reduce the number of hardwares I have in there, disconnecting 2 CD/DVD drives and 1 HDD, but the same thing continued. I don't know what else to do cause I cant even get a genuine PSU to power my hardwares.Please help.Below is my Hardware spec.Motherboard CPU Type Intel Pentium EE, 3800 MHz (19 x 200)Motherboard Name ASRock 775i65GVMotherboard Chipset Intel Morgan Hill i865GVSystem Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM) Display Video Adapter GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)Video Adapter GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 23D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Multimedia Audio Adapter C-Media CMI9739A/9761 @ Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]Audio Adapter SigmaTel STAC9721/23 @ Creative SB Live! Value (CT4830) Sound CardTuner Litewave FM713X FM/TV Tuner Disk Drive ST380011A ATA Device (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)Disk Drive ST380819AS ATA Device (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)Disk Drive ST380819AS ATA Device (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)Optical Drive DE3434N BEU700V SCSI CdRom DeviceOptical Drive DE3434N BEU700V SCSI CdRom DeviceOptical Drive DE3434N BEU700V SCSI CdRom DeviceOptical Drive LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V ATA Device (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)Optical Drive LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V ATA Device (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW LH-16W1P ATA Device

No wonder your have PSU problems you got all that stuff connected to it, odds are if you set the computer like this:

MotherboardCPU Type Intel Pentium EE, 3800 MHz (19 x 200)
Motherboard Name ASRock 775i65GV
Motherboard Chipset Intel Morgan Hill i865GV
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Display
Video Adapter GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Multimedia
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI9739A/9761 @ Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]Audio Adapter SigmaTel STAC9721/23 @ Creative SB Live! Value (CT4830) Sound Card
Tuner Litewave FM713X FM/TV Tuner

Disk Drive ST380819AS ATA Device (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Disk Drive ST380819AS ATA Device (80 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V ATA Device (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW LH-16W1P ATA Device

Your power supply might be able to handle it, because by the looks of it you need a 600 or 700 watt PSU to get that thing running smoothly. So Try the set up I got quoted and see if anything works out. Also I would see what stuff you can turn off in your BIOS to give it some more juice to your power supply as well.

Why travel anywhere when newegg will come to you? And besides, don't plan on installing the quad core. That is, unless you want your computer to boot up.

Your power supply might be able to handle it, because by the looks of it you need a 600 or 700 watt PSU to get that thing running smoothly. So Try the set up I got quoted and see if anything works out. Also I would see what stuff you can turn off in your BIOS to give it some more juice to your power supply as well.

Ok Saint. I am going to remove some things in there to see whether the computer would run smoothly. Like I said, I would prefer it if I can get a very good PSU to power the computer. Unfortunately I aint able to get one. Let me see what happens after removing some of the hardware like you recommended.

Heading to my workroom.

Why travel anywhere when newegg will come to you? And besides, don't plan on installing the quad core. That is, unless you want your computer to boot up.

I know Newegg will solve my problem but I am considering the cost of having a PSU shipped all the way from the USA to Nigeria. It would cost me quite some amount. Apart from that, I aint planning on installing the Quad Core on the same Computer. The Quad is coming in another PC with everything different from the one I currently have.

I would also suggest that all devices that you do not need on daily basis you just turn off as it will save your power supply and power costs. And it might in fact speed up your computer.So think about this carefully.