xisto Community
rvalkass

School Timetables It may seem like a minor thing, but its really bugging me

We get our school timetables after our summer holiday. They are meant to be created over the summer, which gives the staff 6 weeks to sort them out. So, why on earth do they never have them ready on our first day? They always send a note out on the first day apologising for the fact they haven't even started the timetable. Then, magically, its done by the second day. If they can do it in 2 days, why can't they do it in 6 weeks?!?

And, when I finally received my timetable, it was wrong. Not just little errors, but quite major ones. I have 9 lessons in a subject I don't do, most of the teachers listed are wrong, and most of the rooms are too. For example, I missed a maths lesson today because on my timetable I had that period listed as a free. The rooms are also ridiculous. I have some of my A Level physics lessons out of the science department, some of my chemistry lessons in the maths department and my maths lessons in the modern languages department.

Its not just the students getting annoyed, either. Many of the teachers are part time and work the equivalent of 2 days per week. They like to keep their lessons each week to two or three days to avoid travelling too much, but this year's timetable seems to spread their lessons out across the week, and across the day. So, not only do they have to come in each day, but many spend 4 or 5 hours of that time doing nothing at all.

Are all schools like this, or is it just mine thats incompetent?

okay, I gotta say...Our school was supposed to send us our schedules a month early, but, hey what, in the envelope that says "here is your schedule" they managed to send everything imaginable, including a flyer for a charity event in march of next year, EXCEPT the schedule...Oh man.

Interesting to see how your schools across the Atlantic work. When I was in high school (secondary or whatever), we chose our schedules at the end of the year before. The teachers knew what classes they would be teaching and what times, so we just filled out the course number of the classes that I wanted or was eligible to take, kinda like I do with college. Sometimes teachers change, but they just replace the previous teacher's schedule. But I went to a private school, so I know that my experience is different from others.

okay, I gotta say...
Our school was supposed to send us our schedules a month early, but, hey what, in the envelope that says "here is your schedule" they managed to send everything imaginable, including a flyer for a charity event in march of next year, EXCEPT the schedule...

Oh man.

Indeed. I got the flyer, etc. some time in 1st week of August, but my schedule on Aug. 31st. NOte, that school actually starts on the 30's. Well.... that's half the trouble. I had 2 gym classes, no maths, no sciences, and no english classes! All the three that I need to graduate. Also they gave me 2 electives which I ALREADY TOOK in 9th grade. Then, 2 days ago, my schedule got switched around again - i got drom pd. 3 english with an awesome teacher to a really boring one in pd. 2, which is like 2 weeks behind what we were doing in pd. 3. When I asked, why on earth would they ever do that - the answer was - to balance classes - pd. 3 had 22 people, and 2 - 12. Well... I am sorry, but why do school officials have to lie to us? Today I asked the teachers: 3rd period now has 15, nad 2nd - 20 people. I asked to transfer me and my friend (same trouble) back - they said that it's too late to change schedules. I said: "What do you mean - too late? You just switched me out of my English 2 hrs ago!" She just asked me to leave. What sense does that make?!

We get our school timetables after our summer holiday. They are meant to be created over the summer, which gives the staff 6 weeks to sort them out. So, why on earth do they never have them ready on our first day? They always send a note out on the first day apologising for the fact they haven't even started the timetable. Then, magically, its done by the second day. If they can do it in 2 days, why can't they do it in 6 weeks?!?

And, when I finally received my timetable, it was wrong. Not just little errors, but quite major ones. I have 9 lessons in a subject I don't do, most of the teachers listed are wrong, and most of the rooms are too. For example, I missed a maths lesson today because on my timetable I had that period listed as a free. The rooms are also ridiculous. I have some of my A Level physics lessons out of the science department, some of my chemistry lessons in the maths department and my maths lessons in the modern languages department.

Its not just the students getting annoyed, either. Many of the teachers are part time and work the equivalent of 2 days per week. They like to keep their lessons each week to two or three days to avoid travelling too much, but this year's timetable seems to spread their lessons out across the week, and across the day. So, not only do they have to come in each day, but many spend 4 or 5 hours of that time doing nothing at all.

Are all schools like this, or is it just mine thats incompetent?

At least your school is CONSISTENTLY late.

Our school claims to have ours done, gives some people the right timetable, some people the wrong one, and some people a blank one.

And then they refuse to tell you where you're supposed to be, so you have to work it out on your own.

And those classes that they tell you you're in that you're not supposed to be, they never take you off the register, so you're consistently marked late or absent while sitting in your other class.

Not only that, but they just introduced a two-week timetable, and none of the teachers seem to know where they should be.

It sucks.