xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
faund

Love John Woo's Film

I love John Woo's film since when I was in senior high school.The first movie direct by John Woo I saw was "A better tomorrow" which have 3 part, the first two part tell the same story and the last one tell another story happened in Vietnam. The most thing I like is that the friendship between 3 men.Most of the movie when John Woo directed in HongKong tells story about friendship between men, and in his film women have no much story.After then, I think "A bullet in the head" is worth to be seen, which tells a story happened in Vietnam too.About 1997, John Woo turn to hollywood, and I don't know how famous is he in English World. But I saw him directed Mission Impossible 2, that I think he is well accepted by English World.

Actually, John Woo went to Hollywood in 1993 with Jean Claude Van Damme's Hard Target, then three years later Woo directed the John Travolta/Christian Slater nuke thriller Broken Arrow (written by Graham Yost from 1994's Speed), the he directed Face/Off in 1997.I suggest renting or buying Hard Boiled starring Chow Yun Fat and Tony Leung (from 2000's HK crime drama Internal Affairs). It's available from Dragon Dynasty/Weinstien Home Entertainment in a 2-Disc special collector's edition. Hard Boiled got some awesome gun battles and an explosive climax in a hospital. Yun Fat's character in the movie is also the subject of the latest video game John Woo's Stranglehold, in which Woo is involved in the production.I hope John Woo makes more modern action thrillers in the forseeable future. Can't wait to see those flying doves again.

"Can't wait to see those flying doves again." :D:P

I really like this guy, chou yun-fat, he is a superstar in Chinese language world.

Posted Image

I have seen Hard Boiled, the story between two cop which one have no file( I can't get the English for this from my dictionary), but in my opinion Hard Boiled is a little blankness with it's story. I think this is the different between the western and eastern audience. But the gun battles is really awesome.

Hard Target, Broken Arrow, Face/Off are all wonderful movie. I like Face/Off more. I known Nicoras Kage(maybe in wrong spell) the first time in Face/Off, I really like this guy.

I just saw "Hard Boiled" expecting a great film. I saw a- An over the top action film (a la Mission Impossible II)- A "VERY" generic plot and generic characters- A disorganized film with out of order cutscenesNow I do recognize that Hard Boiled probably is the most EPIC action film. Some of these battle sequences are incredibly long but it doesnt make them great. Some of them are quite good but I wasnt amazed by these sequences which is the only thing I could see someone be amazed by. Hard Boiled had very little substance.Saying that, Im a very open movie goer and Ill still see "The Killer" since most people consider it his best. But, I dont have very high expectations for it anymore. John Woo is just not my type of filmmaker. I want action with substance and flair. I dont want 40 min gunfights with absolutely everthing being blown up and everyone shot unless its done artistically.

Edited by Soviet (see edit history)

I quite agree Soviet with what he comment on "Hard Boiled", I think this is a try of John Woo. I see his movie have change something. From the begining, when he make movies for Chinese speaking world, what he tell in the film is the friendship of men, that's hardly understand by western people, the friendship between men, often beyond brother's love. And his story often dramatically get along with two oppositional characters, such as a cop and a killer. I think this is John Woo's charm. But if he want to win success in hollywood he must meet the taste of western world, I think he will make more good movies there.

I can't say that I am really a fan of John Woo but I like Face Off with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. This movie is a superb action movie which is mostly because of the skills of John Woo as a director. But I didn't like MI2 very much. Maybe because it was too Hollywood like. Let's see what will he bring us next.