xisto Community
abminara

New Virus

There's a new virus nowadays that attacks computers via Skype. If you have it - it's possible that you'd get an email FROM ONE OF YOUR CONTACTS with a message: "Have you seen the last pix of <<Some girl's name>>? {URL}". Thus the virus spreads across your contacts, and then, if you click on the link - your computer will be infected. Beware - the epidemic only started a few days ago. If you get that message from someone you know - ask a person, if they really sent it (a bot would not have a logical answer ready for that).Take care, abminara.

Ah another skype virus, it seems these have become very popular this year as a few more like the one you mention above use the same concept to sucker people into clicking the link. It was a couple of months ago that Skybe shutdown because of a windows update that messed with the system, I think it took a couple of weeks for them to fix that, but not to sure though.

'Tis the age of computer viruses...Seriously, there is and forever will be viruses and the best tool we have is our heads! A lot of people will say you need an Anti-virus but that's not really true. You only really need an AV if you practice poor computer management or have usage habits that involve risky or gray material. An AV fixes (or at least attempts to) the damage or infection of the virus making it a passive defence, whereas using one's head - not clicking the link, and be more aware is a proactive defence.

'Tis the age of computer viruses...
Seriously, there is and forever will be viruses and the best tool we have is our heads! A lot of people will say you need an Anti-virus but that's not really true. You only really need an AV if you practice poor computer management or have usage habits that involve risky or gray material. An AV fixes (or at least attempts to) the damage or infection of the virus making it a passive defence, whereas using one's head - not clicking the link, and be more aware is a proactive defence.

In a way - yes... but for some part I disagree with you. Most of the time viruses come to you while you're downloading some software that's aparantely distributed for free, but has a "gift" attached to it, which you don't know about till it evolves. On the other hand, you cold spend money and buy that same program with a licence from a retailer for more money and get it risk-free, but isn't it cheaper to buy a good antivirus and thus save on freeware? I mean... It's pretty much a delema between cost and convinience. As for me - second always comes first.

True. I agree to a degree; freeware and even cracked software is a high risk area, but with a little diligence you can download illegal software from a questionable site and not get infected, it's just that the average user is not knowledgeable or can't be bothered to take extra steps. Then again it could some sort of computer virus apathy I literally saw a girl say "Look at this virus I got!" and opened the email attachment on the school network...Anyhow, the best way to avoid viral infection (or at least minimize the damage) is to run a limited user account with no password. I was going to say "Don't DL questionable stuff" but let's get real.

True. I agree to a degree; freeware and even cracked software is a high risk area, but with a little diligence you can download illegal software from a questionable site and not get infected, it's just that the average user is not knowledgeable or can't be bothered to take extra steps. Then again it could some sort of computer virus apathy I literally saw a girl say "Look at this virus I got!" and opened the email attachment on the school network...
Anyhow, the best way to avoid viral infection (or at least minimize the damage) is to run a limited user account with no password. I was going to say "Don't DL questionable stuff" but let's get real.

Oh, well, when it comes to opening files on computer other than mine - I'm totally fine with that. Why do you mention password-free accounts?What's wrong with password protection?

The bad stuff about illegal software is that you can actually get caught:) I prefer cracked one, or licensed with license key from the web (which is risky also, by the way.)

A password can be cracked, but "no password" can't be. A friend pointed me to a Windows guru's blog Read this:

OK, I know youre bursting already: “No password?!?! Are you insane?!?!” Cool down, now. Starting with Windows XP, a blank password is actually more secure for certain scenarios than a weak password. By default, an account with a blank password can be used only for logging on at the console. It cannot be used for network access, and it cannot be used with RunAs. The user experience of just clicking on your name to log on cant be beat for simplicity. If you can trust everyone who has physical access to the computer not to log on as someone else or abuse the admin account, this is a great way to go. If not, you can always enable passwords.

A no password account is safer because it becomes 100% point and click, and we all know that computers can't do that (yet).
Edited by Renaissance (see edit history)

OMG! another virus on the line-up? Why would people write malicious programs that would only cause harm to others's computers?It makes no sense at all to destroy others' properties

A friend got that exact same virus about a week ago. I got her message and I was really about to click on it but then I thought about it and asked her, since she was away from her computer I was not getting any answer so I just left it alone. The next day she told she had a virus and was formatting her pc, she immediately asked me if I clicked on it. I told her that I did and that my computer also got infected, but then I was just joking with her.