xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
afunguy26

More Whales Than Any Living Being

Since scientist have only explored less than 1% of the ocean it is a theory that there are more 20 feet or longer whales at the bottom of the ocean than all insects combined! Imagine that DO you believe it? I do cause we got so much to learn about the earth. Amazing!

Thats... Interesting, but how do we know there are whales down there and not some other strange animal no human has ever seen before? Perhaps there is an alien race living down there in enormous glass structures mocking our every move and our ignorance of their existence :P

I dont believe it at all because there are over one million SPECIES of insects in the world and ONE colony of ants has said to have had 486,000,000 ants in interconnected nestsNow if every species of insect has only 1OOO insects in it, if we add that number to the number of ants in this one colony we get 100,486,000,000 insects in the world.If the oceans in this world can support that many 2O foot long whales i will die in amazement!And lets not forget those numbers are based on adding ONE colony of ants to the equivalent of 1OOO of every species of insect so who knows how many insects there really are? Billions more i expect!

But what if there are many other things that could support the whales, they might be 'black smokers' who don't have to go to the surface to breath, and that incident where this guy was on a sailing boat and then suddenly some creature with a smooth back swims below his boat and he almost falls off, he says its too big to be a whale, so he thinks its a new type of typhoon submarine that the russians are building

I highly doubt that there could possibly be more whales than insects. There are so many insects in the world that there is no possible way that there could be any species that would have a greater population than insects. As shadowx said, just one colony of ants had millions of ants in it, and that was just one colony. If you count the countless colonies in the world then the number would be astronomical, I don't beleive the amount of whales needed to overpopulate insects could fit in the ocean, or on this planet for that matter.

Thats impossible as I mention to you in the shoutbox when you first mentioned it, as ther are more insects in this world then anything else, you have to remember insects survive the dinosaur extinction and have been thriving ever since. As for whales being living in the water past 1 mile is impossible unless evolution changed their breathing patterns, since whales need to come up for air, which is like anywhere from 3 minutes to an hour. For whales that is a lot of weight to pull up from a mile down and I highly doubt that most of them could move that fast, without losing consciousness, like we do when people to try to get to the surface of the water as fast as they can.Now if you read your history whales have been hunted down for centuries, with some species becoming extinct during the 1800-1900s as thats when whale hunting was at its prime because of the oil it produce from the blubbler and other stuff.

I don't believe this. Where whales live where comes whale fishers. Whale fishers knows more than scientist that how many whales are there.

Yeah, there will never been more of a species than insects. They are just too many of them, and they are so small that they can multiply how ever many times they want. Have we really only discovered 1% of the Ocean? How many species have we found on the ocean? There must 1000s and 1000s we have discovered, so think of all the new and interesting species there are for us to discover. I think we will never discover every one, or all of the ocean. There are some parts we cant get to, but perhaps as technology advances, we will be able to send robotic machines that withstand all the pressure from the ocean. Its like a whole new world out there to be discovered.

That's quite a daring theory you have put forward, unfortunately, you might have exaggerated a bit. Technically, you are right, less than 10% of the oceans had been explored. However, the lowest figure several sources, acquired through a quick Google search, have estimated is just below 5% so your statistic is way off.Also, while we do have ocean depths so deep, it is, by no means, infinite. Insects number greatly partially because of their instinct to form colonies: several small organisms working together in a finite space, acting practically like one massive organism. Now, whales also form communities but a herd of whales (or school, or pod, or gam) simply occupies too much space, moves around an even greater space and needs to surface to breathe. There is simply no way that our dismally finite oceans can support that many large organisms.Also, whales have limitations too. It is highly improbable, though not downright impossible, for whales to inhabit the greater depths of the ocean. For one, they need to surface to breathe. Also, they eat plankton and krills, organisms that photosynthesize in sunlight and thrive in the warmer ocean surface. It is highly unlikely that there is enough nutrition and, wildly speaking, air vents in the abyss floors for whales to comfortably frequent those places or make it their homes.Unless, of course, and this is, again, wildly speaking, there is actually no such thing as a mantle and the earth is made of water, instead of viscous molten rock, then there might be a chance our crust is supported by a massive herd of whales, which, strangely enough, resembles certain pre-"round Earth" theories :P

Since scientist have only explored less than 1% of the ocean it is a theory that there are more 20 feet or longer whales at the bottom of the ocean than all insects combined! Imagine that DO you believe it? I do cause we got so much to learn about the earth. Amazing!

Bull. Then why do they keep saying whales (at least some species) are endangered? Also, if there were more whales than all insects combined, the ocean levels probably be 100 ft higher, you'd basically be swimming in whales.
Seriously, just do the math. Scientists estimate that 20% of the world's biomass consists of 'social insects', like ants and termites. The weight ratio of whales compared to ants would insists that the total percentage of biomass on earth is somewhere in the 1000's, which is impossible.
Edited by dre (see edit history)

Haha there could be more whales than insects, highly doubtable, but possible. But if there are really that many whales, than they need a food source to provide them energy. So, the fish or underwater creature below the whale in the food chain (the food the whales survive on/eat) would have more collective organisms than whales, and would be the group of animal with the largest population. However, there will probably be many other groups of organisms below this, which will all have larger amounts of organisms to feed the organism higher on the food chain ladder. So, even if there are more whales than insects, there will be more fish than whales, and more of what fish eat than fish. The animal at the bottom of the ocean food chain will have the largest organism population.

I don't even know if it's possible that there are more whales than insects in the world... According to one expert, there are something like 10000000000000000000 insects in the world. If there were that many whales... man, not only what GamerGlitch said, but... it's just not possible... I mean, there are a ton of insects in the world... They're everywhere. Whales...? Not so much.

dude how freaky would that be if they all beached some where. but if they did that something would have to be horribly wrong down there. but we would have to cause it. lol. but that would be freaky if you were a diver hey

Totally Impossible, i really doubt that there are that many whales. If there were, we wouldn't be trying to save them. THere are a thousands insect species in the world and millions of them. If there were huge amounts of whales that big, there should be at least one case of it washing up on shore as a dead carcass something. Whale's are mammals, they need to come up for air sometime. Next time, a little more support for your "theory" would be a lot better.

Scientists have only explored less than 1% of the ocean's bottom. I believe their are creatures down their that may be very big, and may date back to prehistoric times, as their are fishes thought to be extinct that instead went down to the deep and adapted.

blah, hes not even posting any responses to support his "thoery"

Edited by mojoman (see edit history)

It's amusing to see moronic topics like this attracting so much attention. I can imagine where he pulled this "theory" of his from... Somewhere that has something in common with the depths of the oceans: it's somewhere the sun doesn't shine. Whales, as mojoman correctly points out, are mammals and being such, they need to breath. Furthermore they have lungs like all other mammals. Therefore they must remain near the surface at all times... to breathe! So, no, there's not very many whales at all. Another thing about undiscovered animals near or at the floor of oceans: The absolutely enormous pressures at those depths prohibit large animals from being part of that environment and those small creatures that do exist there are very strange looking indeed because of specialty survival characteristics they've evolved over time to enable them to thrive is such a harsh environment.