xisto Community
H3x

Books That Changed Your Life

Jack Kerouac (pronounced [dʒak ˈkɛrʊ?k]) (March 12, 1922 ? October 21, 1969) was an American novelist, writer, poet, artist, and part of the Beat Generation. While enjoying popular but little critical success during his own lifetime, Kerouac is now considered one of America's most important authors. The spontaneous, confessional prose style inspired other writers, including Tom Robbins, Richard Brautigan, Hunter S. Thompson, Ken Kesey, Tom Waits and Bob Dylan. Kerouac's best known works are On the Road, The Dharma Bums and Big Sur.He divided most of his adult life between roaming the vast American landscape and living with his mother. Faced with a changing country, Kerouac sought to find his place, eventually bringing him to reject the values of the fifties. His writing often reflects a desire to break free from society's mold and to find meaning in life. This search may have led him to experiment with drugs (he used alcohol, psilocybin, marijuana, and benzedrine, among others to study spiritual teachings such as Buddhism) and to embark on trips around the world. His books are often credited as the catalyst for the 1960s counterculture.Kerouac died in St. Petersburg, Florida at the age of forty-seven from an internal hemorrhage thought to have been caused by alcoholism.

The World According to Garp definitly changed my life. It was written by John Irving, one of the best-known American author. I don't really know how this book changed my life but it did. I read it one year ago but still I think of it with much love, the story of the life of S.T Garp and his relatives really changed some opinions I had towards life.

I really suggest you to read it if you haven't already, it's really really good.

Life changing is probably a little bit strong, but the Belgarion series of books by David Eddings are extremely good. The are of a similar genere to Lord of the Rings, but in my opinion better in every way.One book that did make me think about things in a different was was a book called 'The Truth About Roswell', written by the Colonel who was in charge of the 'cover-up'. Its weird, but I read the book once a few years ago, & have never been able to find any trace of it since, either online or in the real world. It explained some good points - the arrival of night vision, microwaves etc, all things that are common now but technology that appeared almost overnight in the 50s.If you ever come across it I recommend you read it, it might change your opinion on a few things.

The Chicken Soup Series changed my life. It really affected me. I'm a better person now, I think. Has anyone read all the books in the Chicken Soup Series? I've read around 4 or 5. I forgot the titles as i was in 5th grade when i read them. I'm now in 8th grade.. You see!!!!

Harry Potter most definatly!If i had never read harry potter i would never have wanted to make a harry potter site, then i wouldn't have looked for a free host, then i couldn't have found this place, then i wouldn't have found out graphic making, then i wouldn't have gotten into graphic making.... lol anywho.. yeah thats the only books i really read and so its kinda changed my life

"How to win friends and inflence People" by Dale Carnegie, a must read book for everyone. It teaches you the basic thing to survive in this planet.It has changed my way of looking/talking with others. So in a way it has a deeper impact in my life.

Ummm, the book that changed my life.. Hmmm. The Little Black Book for Teenagers about Love and Sex. Seriously, it helped me a lot. It tests me on whether I like a person or I LUST for that person.

well theres always those kitchen soup for the soul books but i must say i got bored of those easily. hmmmm the one book that probably changed my life was this korean novel "a wolf's attraction" the saddest book i've ever read and about drama about this girl!!

The Bible. Wrong About Japan by Peter Carey. Both these books changed how I look at life, they radically altered my perspective on everthing. I dislike Christianity, but I do enjoy reading the Bible, even though I disagree with a lot of it.

The Battle of Jericho by *forgets author* (sorry, but someone's got to know this book.) It really focuses on the realities of teenage life. Anybody read this book? It's about a highschool teenager named Jake who must rise to his own standards by being accepted into a school club, the same club that his father and uncle were in when they were in his school. But he's beaten and tortured during the "initiations" and after a while something very tragic happens...

LOTR certainly changed my life....made me want 2 become an author ever since i read it....that book is just the best, iv'e read the series like 20 times over now lol....its everything, funny, sad, exciting....there's imagery that a literary-type person can get immersed in, and yet the story is also so perfect that a 10-yr old could read and understand it....(i read it first when i was 9 lol)another book which didnt exactly change my life because i read it, but more because it exists....Harry Potter...i have long black hair and glasses.......so u can guess what happened down at school :rolleyes: ...so yeah, harry potter changed my life, made me get contact lenses lol.. :)