World?s First 300 Gb 2.5″ Sata Hard Disk Drive

did you know that Fujitsu has made and 300gb sata hard drive

here's and quote of the article on WindowsX's shine

Fujitsu Introduces Worlds First 300 GB 2.5″ SATA Hard Disk Drive

Posted Image

Fujitsu

Officially

Introduces Worlds First 300 GB 2.5″ SATA Hard Disk Drive

With solid state disks shipping with up to 128 GB and perhaps even 256 GB capacity later this year, hard drive makers are under pressure to increase the storage space for the common hard drive: Fujitsu will begin selling a 300 GB 2.5″ hard drive in Q3.

The 1.8 and 2.5 segments are without doubt the most competitive hard drive markets at this time, with capacities increases at a much faster pace than what we have seen in previous years. In May of this year, Hitachi and Western Digital introduced 2.5 hard drives with 250 GB storage space; now it is Fujitsu that rings in the next round less than two months later: The company is first to announce a 300 GB 2.5 external hard drive (100 GB capacity per platter).

Spokeswoman Ayumi Sakoda told TG Daily that Fujitsu will offer 300 GB only in a portable hard drive for now and not as an internal drive for notebooks. According to the manufacturer the drive is designed for the busy mobile professional and is powered through the USB bus, which means that it does not come with an extra external power cord. Included in the package is Apricorns EZ Gig II software, the Cryptainer encryption program and the data synchronization suite Second Copy 2000.

Fujitsu said that the 300 GB drive will ship in Q3 for a suggested retail price of $229.

With 300 GB, portable 2.5 hard drives already have almost twice the capacity of the highest capacity 2.5 drives of one year ago (160 GB). And we are likely to reach almost half a terabyte in the not too distant future: Samsung recently announced a single-platter 160 GB 2.5 drive, which could hit the market - if Samsung decides to build a 3-disk drive like Fujitsu as a 480 GB model.

Source 1: TG-Daily

Source 2: Fujitsu

This entry was posted by raptotech on Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007 at 1:21 pm and is filed under Hardware.

i'm going to see if i can find this in australia because hardly anthing comes out here first LOL

PS: mods if you don't like this type of quoting, rather then warn me, just pm me and i will edit the post:)

I don't see how this is an innovative thing...Is it because SATA is just catching up to IDE capacities? I'm very behind on technology because I have no need to upgrade or to even purchase a desktop for a long, long time... :P What about eSATA?

The reason this is big is that is a 2.5'' hard drive and not a 3.5'' hard drive. The size is the important part because this means it is a laptop hard drive and not a desktop one. Since flash memory is becoming increasingly popular because it is solid state and small, it is important for traditional hard drive makers to increase their storage for laptops. Desktops will keep the traditional hard drive because of the drast difference in the sizes available. Laptops on the other hand want the most space in the least size and that uses the least amount of power. This is a good thing for all of us laptop users who fill the typical 80 gig hard drives without a problem.

The reason this is big is that is a 2.5'' hard drive and not a 3.5'' hard drive. The size is the important part because this means it is a laptop hard drive and not a desktop one. Since flash memory is becoming increasingly popular because it is solid state and small, it is important for traditional hard drive makers to increase their storage for laptops. Desktops will keep the traditional hard drive because of the drast difference in the sizes available. Laptops on the other hand want the most space in the least size and that uses the least amount of power. This is a good thing for all of us laptop users who fill the typical 80 gig hard drives without a problem.

Outstanding.

Thanks for the update. I didn't even think about laptop applications... when I read 2.5", I immediately thought of smaller external drives... which somehow didn't click in with laptop HDs. :P

I had to ponder this topic for awhile and came to the opinion that all they really did was reduce the size of the hard drive for EHD (External Hard Drives). Yes they are actually working on making hard drives bigger for laptop which would be a ok thing, but not necessary, due to the fact that laptop are supposes to be portable and used for temporary storage to be move to a desk top.So you could say in about 1-2 years that you could see companies like Dell, Sony offering larger hard drives for laptops.

I don't think it's about offering 300GB drives to laptop users is the issue. It's about if people really find it useful and if the manufactures can offer laptop featuring 300GB to consumers at the target price (between $400 ~ $1000). And also have to do with NEED verses WANT. Consumers are yet to comprehend the full usage of 100GB except for storing lots of movies and mp3 files. So it's all about storing stuff that people may or may not need. Then how do manufactures market 300GB? Just store more stuff in there? :PI would rather have manufactures of hard drives to continue to research on SSD (solid state drive) so that my laptop can truly be, in the sense of, portable. I picked up Sandisk SSD 32GB for $200 (retail price around $600) few weeks ago and my laptop battery is lasting about 1 hour or more on an average. The specification and reviews are claiming 85% reduction on power usage by switching to SSD from traditional RPM drives. I don't know about the percentage but I sure can see 3.5 hours of operation time verses 2.5 hours before the switch.