xisto Community
birudagmawi

No Windows 98 Support From Google? Why?

I was just about to see the new things that google were cranking out when I realized that most of the softwares don't support Windows 98 SE anymore.My question is, why is it that google stopped supporting Windows 98? I mean, Google Toolbar can work perfectly fine is they wanted to make it compatible, are they somehow acting like the lapdog of Microsoft and forcing 98 users to move on?

Yeh, you can't get any support for Windows 98 from anybody except fellow users. Microsoft pulled the plug a while back and when I go to their site on my IBM formated puter it tells me I am running Macintosh. Pretty good, huh? I can't get anything downloaded from their site anymore either. Guess Google is an affiliate in this matter. :XD:

Incidentally the Win98 support page is still up and you can check it out here, but anyways Windows 98 became extinct the moment XP went online. However, the support continued until July 11, 2006 and thats when everything got cut off, and which ut brings to the point of why support an operating system that the parent company is no longer supporting when you got *cough* better operating systems to use *cough*? On top of that it would be a waste of time and resources to program for an operating system that only 2-3 people in Antarctica are using.

I would suggest looking into upgrading to Windows XP or if your feeling very adventurous dual boot with XP or upgrade to Vista, although I am not surprise if someone still has a working computer with Windows 3.1 or 95 running on it.

My school had the same problem. They had over 200 computers all running Windows 98 when Microsoft revealed they were going to withdraw support fot it. Not only did my school need new hardware, they also had to buy over 200 licences for XP. The whole computer network was down for weeks.

I know that most people don't like this solution for some reason, but I've started using Linux and recommending it to others whenever they need to upgrade. Most of them don't want to get a new PC just to run Vista (which is fraught with problems) when they can run a Linux distro easily, and Google provide a lot of their applications for Linux too.

although I am not surprise if someone still has a working computer with Windows 3.1 or 95 running on it.

One of each :XD: And a laptop running 98SE with the massive amount of 4GB of hard disk space.

My school had the same problem. They had over 200 computers all running Windows 98 when Microsoft revealed they were going to withdraw support fot it. Not only did my school need new hardware, they also had to buy over 200 licences for XP. The whole computer network was down for weeks.
I know that most people don't like this solution for some reason, but I've started using Linux and recommending it to others whenever they need to upgrade. Most of them don't want to get a new PC just to run Vista (which is fraught with problems) when they can run a Linux distro easily, and Google provide a lot of their applications for Linux too.
One of each :D And a laptop running 98SE with the massive amount of 4GB of hard disk space.

WOW!! 4 GIGS!! I wish I had that AHAHAHAHA :P

I think Google apps programmed in Dotnet, so may b they are incompatible with Win 9x

Nah most of the applications are based on ajax coding and some C++, but since the ajax is a browser thing you shouldn't have to many problems, but on the fall back to C++ that could be a different issue. Although, just now thinking about it did you try to install any of the applications onto your computer? IF so what where the errors?

Win98 is obsolete. Microsoft stopped supporting it quite some time ago. Google apparently believes that it's in the company's best interest to not devote resources to developing Win98-friendly applications.Not that I have a problem with 98. Two PCs in this house are running 98SE without any problems, in fact. One has a four-gig hard drive. Heheh.

Win98 is obsolete.

I happen to know that although its a common misunderstanding that MS 98 is obsolete hardware, it can compete with Windows XP easily. My Windows 98 is powerful enough to play High End Games that still support windows 98se, and with unofficial packs such as the KernelEX, Rev. Pack, Unofficial Windows 98se Service Pack 3.0, Autopatcher 98 and other software, 98 can become as or dare I say BETTER than Windows XP and Vista. My Computer can easily run XP smoothly but I choose not to because of the simplicity.

And its nonsense when I read Google has better things to do than spend time making 98 friendly software, its not that hard and I'm sure they got the resources and money to pull it off, besides almost all of the software they offer is free, so what do they have to lose?

They have nothing to lose, although if they can put those resources towards XP and other now mainstream operating systems, and make their applications for those better, then why designate money towards an operating system that even Microsoft has now withdrawn support for?

Windows 98 SE is still a rather stable and awesome operating system that you can rely on, but get with the times! B)

You may have to actually bump up some specifications with the installation of XP (if you want to run it flawlessly), but I'm sure you'll be okay with the upgrade. Plus, at least it's not as much of a dinosaur as 98 SE.

Microsoft is extending its support for XP past the expected date (when Vista was supposed to completely take over), so you will be safe with XP for a while. Plus, I'm sure developers will still be developing software for XP for quite some time to come.

See if you can snag Windows XP Professional SP2. It would be, in my opinion, the equivalent of Windows 98 SE in stability, compatibility with hardware, and functionality. I can almost safely say that Windows XP Professional SP2 would be the best operating system that you can have out of the Windows family. (I had to specify that since I know someone will want to throw out the argument of 'nixing. B) )

-

As for software support, don't expect anyone to develop programs for the Windows 98 era, much less 95 or 3.1. :P

They've been abandoned with the assumption that everyone else has moved on. Also, why spend time to create a program that only a select few can use?

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)