xisto Community
mabhishekjhawar

Graphic Card Or Ram

i m currently planning to upgrade my system , i use intel 845GVSR motherboard, but the graphic is not upto the mark since i use the graphic accelerator of intel , nor do i have any graphic card,.i m planning to purchase one , but my frens are advicing me to jus upgrade the RAM , i use 256mb ram , as its kinda enough for my daily usage , but since my cousins has come overr, he plays a lotta games, now either i have to purchase a GRAPHIC card or RAM is a big dilemma for me. kindly let me know the best graphic card available in the market, my budget is jus Rs 4500($100), also kindly advice which ll be better , i know graphic card ll enhance my view of the game but does it it also accelerates the PC?PLZ HELP.

Hi there,well I do not know current prices of graphic cards so I cannot help you with that. However, I do know a few things about how things work inside computer. Right now you have an intergrated graphic card or graphic accelerator and the main difference from seperated graphic card is that it SHARES RAM with the amount of ram in your computer. If you purchase a seperate graphic card your computer performance will only improve if you'll play games, becase that is when your integrated card eats your computer memory - other than that there will be no computer performance improvement. Purchasing more RAM will make your computer run faster and more importantly, you'll be able to use more programs at once without any delays and lags. Your gaming experience will also get better as your integrated card probably eats 256mb of your RAM at most so you'll still have about 750 mb ram free for your computer (i am assuming that you'll buy 1GB of RAM) to operate and therefore games will run better!That sounds a bit complicated but is rather easy!YOU BUY SEPERATE GRAPHIC CARD ----> Games will run a lot smoother, computer performance change will be near nothing!YOU BUY MORE RAM ----> Games will run better then they do now and you computer performance will get A LOT better if you upgrade from let's say 256mb to 1GB of ram! You also should know that in computer performance the vital parts are also the SPEED OF YOUR DISK and YOUR PROCESSOR!Acctually RAM - DISC - PROCESSOR are the three things that create speed in your computer so upgrading one may not make so much change if the other two are not good enough to follow if you know what I mean - the thing is that data travels through all these three components and if one is stopping the process then the other two can be top-notch but the overall performance will not improve that much...Hope you'll make a good decision and I wish you all the best!

To easy and thats what I love about Newegg

Graphics Card $25-50 Range

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/+-+

RAM $25-50 Range

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/+-+

Now the best way to decide what to go with, first check out the prices and cut them down to about 5 choices for the best prices, then after that look at the ratings and number of reviews. Then when reading the reviews, read the cons of that product and see whats the the worse off or could have the most amount of problems. That way you can cut down to 1-2 choices from there.

However, I would look into the Kingston memory as they are the most universal in all systems and good overall, and as for the graphics card I would go into the geforce model, since you get a good gfx card for a descent price.

Get RAM right now, it's the most important upgrade at the moment. You can just get the video card later if you have to. I wouldn't recommend anybody having less than 512mb of RAM on their computer, and 1gb is highly recommended.

Since everyone has already jumped in with suggestions and recommendations, I'll throw in my two cents with WHY you should go with either RAM or a video card: RAM dictates how much memory can be utilized to help load programs and keep programs resident in memory. The more RAM you have, the more programs you can load in memory to keep some of the workload off of the processor. What happens is that the processor makes its calculations and uses RAM to store data to work with... and the more RAM you have to work with, the more stuff your computer can have loaded at one time. With an integrated video processor on the motherboard, I believe heavensounds is right on how the integrated video shares memory with your RAM (but up to the dedicated amount... which is usually noted on the computer's specifications). If you upgrade your memory, it won't necessarily help out your computer's graphical power by much if at all... but you'll be able to run programs more efficiently.I'd go with RAM for right now considering you have only 256MB. Windows XP takes up to 512MB just to run well.Now, with a new video card, gaming gets taken to a whole new level, assuming that your games can take advantage of the power. A new graphics card will take off the load off of your RAM (dedicated video memory) and add a GPU and truly-dedicated video memory to your system. Games will be faster, object rendering will be smoother, etc. Things will be peachy. Pay attention to the benchmarks and specifications of the card that you choose... it's not always the case where just more video memory is better. Pay attention to models, variants, and reviews.Hope this helps out.

256MB of RAM in this age and time? Now let us get one thing very straight here. 256MS is way too small for your computer except all you have to do with the computer is simply type some ducuments with MS word or something. If you are thinking of playing games that contain a lot of graphics, then I would suggest you upgrade your memory to a minimum of 512MB.I am currently using 1GB of RAM on my PC but yet that aint enough for my day2day activities. That is the reason why I am planning a 4GB RAM upgrade to come with my next major computer upgrade.Now about the graphics card, Intel Extreme Graphics (I assume that is what your mobo uses) sucks. It is only using what is called as hyper-memory in which case it collects only 8MB of memory from your RAM (shares the RAM with the system) and boosts it to say, 64MB or thereabout. You know, I would recommend you forget about the RAM and buy the Graphics card instead. That will be if you willnot be playing games that require more than 256 MB of system memory.

Based on your information, you're using onboard VGA Graphics card...which means:Your RAM is shared into processor and VGA, with 256mb(shared) RAM, you cannot get maximum performance, just look in task manager for 'physical memory'. if you see that the use of memory is bigger than your capacity, than you need to upgrade the RAM.You didn't tell what processor you're using(it can decide how many mb your RAM needs, your graphic card,etc)I think INTEL Graphics Accelerator doesn't very bad for your 'OnBoard Graphics Card'( it is standard software for onboard VGA), the needs for upgrading Graphic Card is low, because based on my experience, I can still play 3D game (Farcry) with only 64mb VGA Graphic Card and 1GB of RAM and AMD X2 Processor.n.b. I think we need to upgrade VGA graphic Card if there is a blank pixel or polygon in your screen(like error picture or something) and if your VGA cannot support you're game/software at all. -> it doesn't affect the speed, only the quality of pictureCMIIMW