xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soby

How To Change The Default Icon Of Hard Drive In My Computer

Well i got to know about method of changing the hard drive icon, thought i should share it with you guys. Well he goes.

First what you have to do is find Icon files that you may want to put on your hard drive. These files are basically of ".ico" extension so a simple search for "*.ico" (remove the "" when searching) in you computer will generate results with various icons you can use.

Posted Image

You can also create new icons with an icon editor. I use the 'Easy Icon Maker' available from this website http://www.icon-maker.com/

Well now assuming that you've got your icon file, what you need to do is place the icon file in the main directory of the hard drive of which you wish to change the icon of or in any other folder. I for example put it in a folder named autorun.

Posted Image

After you've place the icon, you need to create a file telling the computer to show the icon on the hard drive rather than the default icon. Open a new notepad instance and type the following lines.

[autorun]icon=\autorun\icon.ico

and save the file as " autorun.inf " in the main directory of the drive. Now saving the file as an inf file may be tricky as the default save type of notepad is .txt , heres what you've gotta do to save the file with the required extension.

When you are saving the file, the save dialog box appeard where you type the filename and select the location to save the file. Now below the space where you type your filename is the "save as type" text box. Use the drop down and select "All files".

After you've done that, type the filename as " autorun.inf" and save the file in the main directory of the hard drive where you've placed the icon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Restart your system and viola. Your hard Drive icon has been changed.

Posted Image

NOTE:: This also goes the same for CD/DVD's you're burning. use the same method and you can have classy icons on your CD/DVD's.

Fantastic!You would think that by now, changing the icon would be something that the operating system let you do automatically.I'll have to keep this in mind -- especially for CDs and DVDs.Do you know if this method would work for video DVDs?

Well, this things always comes in handy for some (yeah me :))Thanks for the contribution.I started used windows a few months ago (i was linux addicted), now i'm trying to program at windows, and change the interface, this is a small trick, but thanks anyway :D

Well, this things always comes in handy for some (yeah me :))Thanks for the contribution.
I started used windows a few months ago (i was linux addicted), now i'm trying to program at windows, and change the interface, this is a small trick, but thanks anyway :D

Why would you go from linux to windows. Thats a step down. Thats like if you died and you went to heaven, and then you were like "I'm heaven addicted I think i'm going to go back down to hell"... Seriously.

Well yeah...You should state that it is for Windows XP.To change the icon of folder or hard drive for Windows Vista is much easier.You doesn't need to know the code.Just right-click the appopriate go to properties and you can tweak it all, just find the .dll(dinamic library if I am not mistaken).And for the desktop.ini files, it won't work on Windows Vista. Maybe the code is unsupported.Anyway who knows the code that works both for XP & Vista, please share.

how to restore my D Drive icon on windows XPHow To Change The Default Icon Of Hard Drive In My ComputerOh Great tipBut I am afraid to screw up my computer.I Love mac and PC because I like to use both but for some reason I managed to accidentally change the D drive icon by a wireless USB icon. My question is:How Can I restore the D drive icon with the hard drive gray icon instead? I could not find it through the search option ie: .Ico so please could someone let me know how to fix it :(Please .I am curious to try to design new icons and perhaps I can replace the old with the new :) this is my aim for the next few weeks :)Thanks again for the input.Omar-reply by omarKeywords: how can restore default icon in d: drive in windows xp