xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SamiFX

Con Named Folder

Hello all,try to create a new folder and rename it to 'con'I've tried to do that but it won't name it with this name... anyone here knows why?I want a folder with 'con' name :) :XD:

Well, there are certain names that Windows won't let you rename to certain names, con is one of them, com1 and com2, are a couple of others and I can't remember the rest. It's just another one of Windows little quirks that users have to deal with on a daily basis.

It has to do with the backwards compatibility of the Windows Operating System."con", "com1", etc are reserved words left over from the days of MS-DOS, so they are still not available. Remember that "Windows" is simply a shell that uses the MS-DOS "kernel" (don't know if that is the corrct term :XD: ), so lots of times when you click a mouse to do something, the Operating System actually uses low-level coding to perform the task. Even though you can't see it happening, the Operating System is actually running MS-DOS behind the scene, so the folder or filename you select must still meet the MS-DOS restrictions.

create a new folder and rename it to Con Named Folder

If you've tried to create a folder with the name 'con' or 'com', you'll notice it is going to retore the 'New Folder' name. So if you want to do this, you can first:-

• Press and hold Alt key then press the folowing keys without releasing AltĀ  I.E. 0160 on the numeric keypad nad not the alphanumeric pad.

• Then type the name 'con' or 'com'

• You'll notice, it's going to have a space which when tried manually is not going to help

Thank you very much.

/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley16.GifBye /txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley1.Gif

-reply by Tanyasis Jonathan MwanikKeywords: