xisto Community
odomike

Thinking Of A Preferable Hardware 4 My Pc Upgrade which one will go?

Currently, I am using a Pentium 4 630 (running at 3.0GHz factory default) powered PC which I have overclocked to 3.40GHz. Combined with a 1.0GB of Dual channel DDR 400 (which my ASRock motherboard is clocking down to DDR 333) with 240GB (80GB x 3 [2 SATA II + 1 IDE]) and 4 CD/DVD drives (3x CD-RW + 1 DVD-RW). My motherboard is being powered by an Intel 865GV Northbridge chipset (800 FSB).It is not like this computer is not functioning properly, but I want a higher performance considering the fact that I am runing a lot of multitasking aplications like 3DSMax, MAYA, Photoshop CS3, DW CS3 and the rest of 'em.I was previously thinking of going for the Quad core processors but, OMG their price is something else. Ok for an alternative, I have being trying to se whether I can lay my hands on a Dual Socket LGA 775 motherboard so that I can pump in 2 Pentium XE (3.8GHz [Dual core + HTT + Virtualization]) and probably over-clock it to somewhere above 4.6GHz (Thats mad, aint it?). It would mean running on 4 Cores (2 cores per socket). A kinda motherboard that supports DDR2 and has the ability to still support the future DDR3 and with an FSB of about 1333MHz. preferably a motherboard with an Intel 965/975 or the P series Northbridge chipset featuring multiple PCI E slots for nVIDIA SLI or ATI CrossFire capability for my gaming. I have tried to do some googling but I have not been able to set my eyes on this kinda motherboard. Every other feature I want in the motherboard is there but I have not been able to see a Dual Socket LGA 775 motherboard. All the dual sockets I have been able too see are all meant for the server processors (XEON and Opteron) and I don't wanna use a server processor for my desktop. This is my main concern as I still wanna substitute the Quad core I aint able to purchase at the moment (considering finances) for the 2x Pentium XE. I understand that the Quad core still got its advantage in terms of performance over the 2x Pentium XE, but like they say, u cannot eat your cake and have it.I would appreciate it if anyone of you could give me a link to anywhere I can get a dual LGA 775 socket motherboard.Awaiting your replies.

Edited by odomike (see edit history)

No don't do that. First of all, you would have to buy liquid cooling, that's the only way you'll get 2 P4 XE's at 4.6 Next, which video card are you using? For things like 3DS Max there are specialized video cards that should improve performance.What you should do is get yourself that dual LGA 775 mobo and then buy yourself 2 Core 2 Duo's running at 2.66 ghz. They should cost about $180-200 and will absolutely kill the Pentium 4's in performance. The age of the Pentium is over, don't buy any more of then, I beg you. You're probably going to have to get new RAM (ddr2 800 most likely) to ensure you get good performance. (I just did a search for a P4 XE and found nothing, so good luck buying those). Do not expect, however, better gaming performance from having 2 cpu's. Many a benchmarks have shown that 2 cpu's actually slow your games down more. I haven't seen any comparisons with newer games running multithreaded, but that was the case some time back.

Hi I have a old P4 1.6ghz and am am thinking of getting a core 2 duo as a bare bones upgrade. I have been doing some research and am currently look at Asus motherboards. Now I have noticed a few things about the motherboards as the older affordable ones have limited upgradability. However I have noticed that the ones that are a bit more expensive have greater upgrade options with processors ranging from core 2 duo and core two extreme. There are also other motherboards that are tagged as Quad core compatible. I would look into this as if they can actually socket a Quad core you could possibly put in a quad in the future. I am a Linux user so Asus and Gigabyte are a mainstay for motherboards. Western Digital build solid hard drives. I have a LG DVD=RW which I havent had a single problem with. As for video Linux users prefer Nvidia for better driver support I am still shopping for parts and learning from past mistakes I am going the upgradability way as I was getting a new box every 8 years of so. This way I can always put in new parts when there prices drop to affordable levels.

No don't do that. First of all, you would have to buy liquid cooling, that's the only way you'll get 2 P4 XE's at 4.6 Next, which video card are you using? For things like 3DS Max there are specialized video cards that should improve performance.

I am currently using an nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128MB DDR). But that aint what I am gonna use in the new PC. I iam thinking of GeForce 8800GTX. I know about video cards and their effects on 3D and multimedia applications.

What you should do is get yourself that dual LGA 775 mobo and then buy yourself 2 Core 2 Duo's running at 2.66 ghz. They should cost about $180-200 and will absolutely kill the Pentium 4's in performance. The age of the Pentium is over, don't buy any more of then, I beg you. You're probably going to have to get new RAM (ddr2 800 most likely) to ensure you get good performance. (I just did a search for a P4 XE and found nothing, so good luck buying those). Do not expect, however, better gaming performance from having 2 cpu's. Many a benchmarks have shown that 2 cpu's actually slow your games down more. I haven't seen any comparisons with newer games running multithreaded, but that was the case some time back.

You are right their I must say. I know that the Core2Duos would definitely out perform the Pentium Processors but what I am considering here, like I said before is the final cost. As it is, i am not gonna be buying only the processor and the mobo. I would have to think of the Graphics card, sound card (or maybe I would continue using my ol' Creative sound Blaster Life CT4830), the Memory RAM, Hard Drives, and of course the CD/DVD Drives. I am actually building a new computer so to say. I would also want a few periferials too like them FM/TV cards, WiFi, Bluetooth and some other things too.

The thing is that I made an exchange with a friend. This is how it went...

He came with his laptop for Windows Vista drivers download and we got into a discussion. He mentioned something about liking my desktop and I told him that I wouldnt take his laptop for my desktop. His laptop config is Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz), 512MB DDR2 5300, 80GB HDD, DVD-RAM, WIFI, Bluetooth and some other smaller things too while my desktop is Pentium4 630 (3.0GHz), 1GB DDR 400, 240GB HDD (80x3), 4CD/DVD drives, the rest you read from the first post.

Well, I considered it and decided to take the laptop but I would have to remove 2 CD-RW drives, the sound blaster card, my USB 2.0 card, 1 HDD plus 1 cooling fan.

Do you think that this is a good deal? Wel, so I thought and that is why we agreed for the exchange. And he also said he is gonna balance me some money for the FM/TV tuner card I have in there too.

Despite having this laptop, I still want a desktop for my server stuff. The laptop cannot take all my computer problems. This is why I am posting this and seeking for advice for a cheap and possibly high performance hardware for my new desktop PC.

Thanks very much for the advice dre.