xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
technobot

Ubuntu Linux As Free Operating System Alternative linux operating system

I use Ubuntu exclusively on my laptop since December 2007 and I am very pleased. My wireless chip (atheros) was supported out-of-the-box and for the drivers I only had to tick a box, but the most pleasant thing was that when I rebooted the system after installing the drivers, the compiz effects were fascinating!

Since then guys, I learned python and I am extensively learning new languages and going up in my computer savvyness.

I removed Windows XP after 1.5 years of usage and for the last 4-5 months I was sooooo pissed off because I had to reboot after almost every installed program and because I really loved eye-candy the computer was really slow.

So then I searched for Ubuntu on the web (a friend using Fedora recommended it to me) and I downloaded the ISO and installed it on a CD. My first intentions were to release 10 Gigs space for Ubuntu and continue to use XP more often until I get used to the new enviroment and then hopefully erase all traces of windows on my computer.

But when I overused my 1.5 year old laptop it sometimes shut down itself immediately and that was because it became overheated and that happened in the process of installing Ubuntu (hopefully I backed up all valuable pics and vids). The hard disk was a mess and although I had a backup to reinstall Windows I said: "Cut this MS *BLEEP*" and thrown away the CD. I installed Ubuntu and , yes, I firstly used Ubuntu only for surfing the web, checking mail, and writing my essays in OO.org writer (I already knew of it) - that was what I mostly did in Windows + playing games when the wireless connection would fall down (Its my primary internet connection and I use it because its cheap, good and really fast). I was amazed how Linux handled the wireless 10 times better than windows It only happened 3-4 times this last month and if I was on Windows it would have happened 30-40 times!

Because I was a fast learner I soon became one of the translators of Ubuntu to my native language and a big promotor of F/LOSS in my school.

If it weren't for GNU/Linux I would have been the same old newb playing Sims 2 when his internet connection drops (which he uses for pirating software mostly ;) ).

There is also one another good upside of the installing of Ubuntu, in Macedonia when this school year begins in September we will have computers in front of every kid in the whole high school and all of the high-schools throught the country. The thin-clients will run Edubuntu 8.04 the education version of Ubuntu Linux for desktop PCs.

Isn't that cool, right? ;)

Cheers :)

Well I have installed ubuntu the other day and after a few rough runs I got it set up for the most part. I can access my internet with WIFI, I can access my windows hard drive, which I like, installed a few packages, updated ubuntu 8.04 that had 209 updates which is like WOW!! I give it a 7/10 for a good operating system just because I haven't poke around enough with it and stuff and of course this post is in windows so nah nah ;). However, I do recommend this operating just because of how easy it is to install and get going in a matter of an hour and some change.

I agree with Saint_Micheal Ubuntu is a good operating system. I have installed it more than once. I liked it and its features. I like how Unix which is the bases of Ubuntu, it makes it more secure than windows.