xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mojoman

Upgrading Forum

I currently have an IPB 2.1 forum board on my site. I am wondering: Is it possible to upgrade to a newer version of IPB, like to IPB 2.2 or 2.3?If it is indeed possible, will all data from the old forum be erased? If you can't upgrade, is it possible to move posts, users, etc. on to a 2.2 board if purchased?

Without looking at the IPB site, I would suggest that there is a method to convert from one Forum version to a newer one, especially since it is a paid-for/bought Forum software. Most Forum Software, unless new, will likely have converter solutions, particularly for their own versions to be upgraded.Might be worth noting that Xisto requires that any software installed on their hosting Service be 'legal'. Any cracked or hacked software is grounds for cancellation of your Hosting solution, as per the Terms of Service found in the Xisto Readme. Just a reminder to all those reading this Posting.

Although I don't have IPB, it is upgradeable, when you get the files it comes with instructions on how to upgrade and install forum updates. So read it carefully and make sure you read over the forum backup procedures to make sure you don't lose anything.

All you have to do is download the new release (2.3.1) and re-upload the forums files. Make sure you backup your Database. Assuming you have a license for your IPB you can have them do it for you, for free.You do have a legal version, correct?

Probably I hope. I didn't install it, the old co leader of a I clan I am in did so I don't know how forum software really works, I'm just mainly admin of the forum itself. I thought you had to do it yourself and rebuy it entirely..thnx for help

Edited by mojoman (see edit history)