xisto Community
shadowx

How Do I Learn Web Design? Not coding, i can code well already but how to make it look good?

Look at other people's websites and you'll get inspired. You should especially visit websites that provide free templates (not portfolios with tiny preview pictures). You'll have a close view of what people have done, the types of designs suited for different types of websites etc. One of my personal faves is http://aethereality.net/ Not sure if you'll like it. Some might find it too girlish and it's mostly anime-themed designs. But anyway, im sure there are lots of free design websites out there that you can check out. I agree with you that designing is harder than coding and i never like changing my website layout. Having good skills in photoshop helps too. Good luck to you in your quest for learning to design!

Hi all. In my quest to become a website creator I have a big obstacle.. when it comes to design, eg making things look good i might as well be blind. Im useless!
I can code to a decent standard in HTML PHP CSS MYSQL and JS but i am useless at making a nice design. So wha im after is advice on how to learn this, what i fear is a response of "you can *learn* how to design, you either can or you cant.". Its really important that im able to design a nice looking website because not many people have a concise set of drawings from which to code the website.

Any advice and link will be greatly appreciated here, ive tried looking through google but most sites just try to teach me how to write HTML which i already know.

Thanks in advance, i hope.

1. If you dont have inspiration, try to design website based on another site. its easy bro, you can found a lot of template over the internet, imitate it only for the home page. after that you can easily to design another page. Use the layout and change the color can be an alternative.
2. Dont learn to develop web, develop web to learn. Experience is the best teacher, try to make lot website, finish even it not really good. so you can see the progress in the future.
3. Use editor that can preview your project, I think dreamweaver is enough.
4. If you cannot do it alone, try to share your project with your friend. However, pair is better than personally
5. Maybe youre not good at design, but you are good in programming, join with your friend that good at design, let them make a design, and you write the program....
6. try, try, try, always try. fail is just success that pending for a while......

Hi all. In my quest to become a website creator I have a big obstacle.. when it comes to design, eg making things look good i might as well be blind. Im useless!
I can code to a decent standard in HTML PHP CSS MYSQL and JS but i am useless at making a nice design. So wha im after is advice on how to learn this, what i fear is a response of "you can *learn* how to design, you either can or you cant.". Its really important that im able to design a nice looking website because not many people have a concise set of drawings from which to code the website.

Any advice and link will be greatly appreciated here, ive tried looking through google but most sites just try to teach me how to write HTML which i already know.

Thanks in advance, i hope.

- have a look at lynda.com they have neath learning packages.

- check out ready made web templates and play with its components, (add, delete, change)

why do you wanna learn to design while you are decent developer?
i think if you focus on advanced coding rather than learning how to design, you would be professional in your own field, as these days everyone is designer being a decent coder is the ace.
design is not a logical thing like coding there are tons of ways to show same content and the one which has the highest impression on the right visitor is the best one so it's a complicated thing, sometimes i spend a week to design a page and i don't feel i'm really satisfied then i work on another one for 15 min and that's a wow.

good luck

Start getting some tutorials and following them and just have a look at the sites you like and take into account the certain aspects that you like about them, and then think to yourself why it is good and why it is better than what you have, and work on making yours better. Design can be difficult so you need to do your research and be creative if you want to have a good design

try to go at school and take BSIT major in Multi media or you can learn it by yourselfstart your journey with a simple html?you can also learn how to program at w3school

If you are going to start designing websites for a living, I suggest you first decide exactly the layout of the site. If you are working for someone else, sit down with them and talk, make sure you know what they'd like, and what would work. Try http://www.dynamicdrive.com/, where you'll find very simple layouts to build from. They also have loads of css code snippets for you to have a look at and/or use for your sites.

Colour is also very important. You must choose colours that goes well together (Your triangle theory is actually a good one), and these colours must be 'related' to the subject of the site. Psychology plays a big part in that. Have a look at Wikipedia for some common colour associations. Also remember that these associations can change depending who looks at the design: in the Western world, death is associated with black, while it's associated with white in Eastern cultures. You can have a look at http://www.2createawebsite.com/, under web design. There's an article on colour use in web design.

Finally, you must make sure your site is easily readable and accessible by those with disabilities. Have a look at the accessibility guidelines by the W3C.

As many have already noted, look aroud at what others have done to find inspirations. Hope this helps...