xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
siefwbas

Hate Trying To Do File Sharing On Vista

i've had this attempt before with no luck now i'm going to try again!

now that i got my two laptops (laptop1 - Vista, laptop2 - XP) wirelessly connected,

i still can't see each others shared files...

i tried this before with my PC (XP) and laptop (Vista)

now i have to make this work because i have some files needed to be transfered between them...

i have gone through the manual process of anabling file sharing blah blah through here
http://www.microsoft.com/err/technet/network/

http://www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html

all i see is (on laptop1 Vista)

VISTA (which contains my shared folders) and the Router (which is the PC my laptop is connected throught to the net

Oh I had the darndest time trying to share files between two MS versions as well.

But here is what I did. If you're on XP Pro, allow one folder from XP Pro to be shared with sharing permission to grant ALL. Do the same under Vista and make public sharing turned ON. And share PUBLIC folder to be shared. This is the easiest way.

XP Home does not have the special permission you have to change.

Let's go over the basics:
1) all your computers belong to the same WORKGROUP
2) sharing permission per computer per folder is set properly
3) if possible, disable any firewall on the first attempt
4) if possible, disable any anti-virus on the first attempt

When you succeed in sharing files, be sure to assign proper sharing permission, i.e. CAN MODIFY, READ ONLY etc. Then turn on the firewall, turn on the anti-virus etc to test if you can still share with these turned ON.

If it helps, read about XP permission granting on this topic http://forums.xisto.com/topic/47039-networking-windows-xp-pro-and-other-windows-version-one-way-to-getting-them-connected/

I had trouble setting up these two as well. If your xp machine doesn't have a password, it can create problems as well. In vista you can uncheck "require password for sharing" in the network section. Also like said above, disable any firewalls at first and make sure your workgroups are the exact same. It might take 10 mins or so for your other system to show up in the network browser after changes are made so be patient. Check the system event viewer on both machines as well to zero in on what is holding you up. My computer --> managegood luck!