xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rajibbd

How Many Primes Are There? Crazy Question

We are the science student familiar with the topic Prime Number. We all know that less then 10 there are 4 prime number [2,3,5,7] but what about if i said how many prime numbers are there less then x[guess a large number]. You can say that it can be infinity. But my question is how big is this infinity is. what is actually infinity. I found that sometimes if we do not get any solution like 0/x then we told that answer is infinity. I heard that this is something related to pi[x]. These things are not very clear to me. Can any body help me.

/Have a nice day

How big is infinity?The word infinity comes from the Latin infinitas or "unboundedness." It refers to several distinct concepts (usually linked to the idea of "without end") which arise in philosophy, mathematics, and theology.The symbol for infinity is the little sideways eight :PIn mathematics, infinity is often used in contexts where it is treated as if it were a number (i.e., it counts or measures things: "an infinite number of terms") but it is a different type of "number" than the real numbers. There are quite a few different uses for infinity in several languages such as calculus.Say if X equaled infinity...this means that X grows beyond any assigned value, and when X equals -infinity, X is eventually less than any assigned value.Source: Wikipedia :PHope this answered your question(s).

I think Infinity the word have more interesting history. You may ask me why i said that. Dont you think that i already go through wikipedia.com but i want some consize and interesting news. If you guys have sometime visit any topic under infinity then please repply me. This is interesting that infiniyt is a number but it have no define value.

Right think of it this way. For primes and shizzle going on forever there would have to be no gap in the multiplications. Ever.2x1 = 22x2 = 4 Note that there are gaps between the numbers, 3 and five are prime *this just happens to occur because 2 is the lowest let me finish*2x3 = 6 2x4 = 83x1 = 33x2 = 6 Now we have two sets of numbers that covers a larger area. There are gaps where there is no 7. If we were to keep going in this method we would find 3x3 = 9 that there will always be gaps between numbers. If you don't believe me plot it onto a graph and extrapolate it. Prime numbers exist to infinity.3x4 = 12

The Pi(x) function returns the amount of primes upto the number x: It's said the longterm behavior of the PI, or prime counting, function is asymptotic(approaches) x/ln(x): In other words, as you go towards infinity, you'll encounter an infinite amount of primes.Anyways, infinity is the biggest "number" possible. But, there's no biggest number as numbers can always increase. If you start counting from one, you'll neeeeeeever stop counting. Never. That's how big infinity is.-reply by aswheeler77

the question that is currently bugging me is this:how many numbers are there between 0 and 1. that includes decimals. for example 0.3456544 is between 0 and 1. the answer is there are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. because you could have 0.234565787654567876545678654 - that is between 0 and 1. so infinite numbers between 0 and 1 right?but then how about this: how many numbers are there between 0 and 2? you could have 1.2345678976543 which is between 0 and 2. so there are infinite numbers between 0 and 2 right? then the question is are there more numbers between 0 and 2 than between 0 and 1? they both have infinite numbers right. but the numbers between 0 and 2 have ALL the numbers between 0 and 1 + the adittional infinite numbers between 1 and 2.interesting question right?so this is why i think there are different sizes of infinity.

We are the science student familiar with the topic Prime Number. We all know that less then 10 there are 4 prime number [2,3,5,7] but what about if i said how many prime numbers are there less then x[guess a large number]. You can say that it can be infinity. But my question is how big is this infinity is. what is actually infinity. I found that sometimes if we do not get any solution like 0/x then we told that answer is infinity. I heard that this is something related to pi[x]. These things are not very clear to me. Can any body help me.

/Have a nice day

Prime Numbers: one of the most important topics in the number theory and a subject of continuous research for mathematicians, still remain the mystry. There has been a lot of research on primes and their distribution pattern on the number plane has been tried to be explained, but still we do not have any specific answer to how are they distributed? There are theories which give us partial solution to the patterns existing, but as of now, it is evident that they do not follow a specific pattern, and their quantity uptil a perticular number can just be approaximated, not calculated clearly.

The application of prime numbers go to a wide variety of instances and they are useful in many real life practices.

the question that is currently bugging me is this:
how many numbers are there between 0 and 1. that includes decimals. for example 0.3456544 is between 0 and 1. the answer is there are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. because you could have 0.234565787654567876545678654 - that is between 0 and 1. so infinite numbers between 0 and 1 right?

but then how about this: how many numbers are there between 0 and 2? you could have 1.2345678976543 which is between 0 and 2. so there are infinite numbers between 0 and 2 right?

then the question is are there more numbers between 0 and 2 than between 0 and 1? they both have infinite numbers right. but the numbers between 0 and 2 have ALL the numbers between 0 and 1 + the adittional infinite numbers between 1 and 2.

interesting question right?

so this is why i think there are different sizes of infinity.

Georg Cantor (1845-1918) demonstrated that there are indeed different sizes of infinity, in basically the same way that you just did.