xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tramposch

Explorer.exe Problem When Opening Document

just recently, whenever i open like my docs or anything, you know its explorer.exe, whenever i right click in my docs, it opens a nother folder, like a seperate folder on a seperate screen, you know? it doesnt go into the folder, and its a strange folder i havnt seen, and then i get a report from windows saying they have closed explorer.exe because the file opened was not safe or something... and then later whenver i turn my comp on, it says my system crashed, and asks me if i want to restore ithelp? started like a week agoi posted in the right spot, right

Notice from Plenoptic:
Changed title description to better fit the topic.
Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

I would try this first, uninstall your word program (Word, works or whatever)then try and open up your documents (word pad should kick in) and see if it happens again, also restart your computer to see if it crashes once again. If not then there is a glitch with the software that your using, and by uninstalling it you should have gotten rid of it. Of course it almost sounds like it could be a virus and if you haven't done so already scan your computer and see if anything gets pick up, and if you have spybot run that as well. However, that virus would have to be either pretty old one that you somehow caught or a new one, because I haven't heard anything about virus doing that.Also when you boot up your computer I want to you to press F8 or whatever key it requires you to go to your boot screen and then run the diagnostics program as well, and see if any errors show up as well. Running that program takes about 30-45 minutes to check everything, then if any errors do show up write them down and report back with them. Although it couldn't be a virus or a memory issue, you be surprised what you can find out after running a series of tools, but if the error doesn't show when you do the first option, then reinstall it and see if it happens again.

Well the system crashing happens when you terminate explorer.exe, so that seems to be related...I have no idea why it opens another folder, but was it the "Data Execution Prevention" closing explorer.exe?if it was I have noticed it crash explorer on me for folders that contain .avi or movie files for some reason. I suggest do a virusscan then disable the service for explorer.exe (PM me I can tell you how if you need to!)

I would try this first, uninstall your word program (Word, works or whatever)then try and open up your documents (word pad should kick in) and see if it happens again, also restart your computer to see if it crashes once again. If not then there is a glitch with the software that your using, and by uninstalling it you should have gotten rid of it.

Of course it almost sounds like it could be a virus and if you haven't done so already scan your computer and see if anything gets pick up, and if you have spybot run that as well. However, that virus would have to be either pretty old one that you somehow caught or a new one, because I haven't heard anything about virus doing that.

Also when you boot up your computer I want to you to press F8 or whatever key it requires you to go to your boot screen and then run the diagnostics program as well, and see if any errors show up as well. Running that program takes about 30-45 minutes to check everything, then if any errors do show up write them down and report back with them.

Although it couldn't be a virus or a memory issue, you be surprised what you can find out after running a series of tools, but if the error doesn't show when you do the first option, then reinstall it and see if it happens again.

1. I do not have Microsoft word on my computer, seeing that i just recently reinstalled my os, and was too lazy to install it..

2. I scanned my computer.. but i use norton, isn't the best, but it works, and i used spybot search and destroy.

3. I will do that when i have time, then report back :P

4. It seemed to have happended after i installed Windows Blinds, i uninstalled it and i was still haveing a problem.

Well the system crashing happens when you terminate explorer.exe, so that seems to be related...

I have no idea why it opens another folder, but was it the "Data Execution Prevention" closing explorer.exe?

if it was I have noticed it crash explorer on me for folders that contain .avi or movie files for some reason. I suggest do a virusscan then disable the service for explorer.exe (PM me I can tell you how if you need to!)

1. When explorer.exe does not terminate itself, i usually go to task manager and end it instead.

2. I thinkso :/

3. about the .avi, they arn't in the folder that this usually happens, what are in the folder are: cfg's bat's .java's .dat and .txt, I usually want to specify what to open them with, so i right click and say open with, but the right click never shwos up, and another my documents thing comes up, then it freezes. the folder this happens with (the folders) usually have a large ammount of content.

Thanks for your help, I hope this information helped.

try this.. Tools>>Folder option and show hidden files and folders... then make search on all your hard disks about 'Thumbs.db' a list of this file will be shown and delete them all after that restart your computer... tell me what happened then :P

I don't want to do that, i don't want my thumbnails to load like in an hour, and when i tried deleting some of them, i pretty much froze.Wow, this is frustrating, i just want to fix it..

I would say do one of two following, do a System Restore a week or so before you installed Windows Blinds and see if the problem shows up. If it doesn't fix itself on a restore then reinstall the Operating System as that should fix the error, since it is a fresh installation of the Operating System.