xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Mcafee Lets Users Download Rootkit Program For Free

Since the beginning of 2007 a lot of the security reports I have been reading have mentioning about hackers using rootkits to get into people's computers.

Google defines a rootkit as a set of programs used to hack into a system and gain administrative-level access. Once a program has gained access, it can be used to monitor traffic and keystrokes; create a backdoor into the system for the hacker's use; alter log files; attack other machines on the network; and alter existing system tools to circumvent detection. Rootkits are an extreme form of System Modification Software.

So with that being said the articles that talk about rootkits usually mention that they are almost always found in spyware or malware or even in virus packages when people either download email attachments, or go to infected websites and then in lamen terms your computer just became a Zombie. Right now it's in beta stage but very useful because so far I have found 10 registry strings infected :P, right now there is no download link at mcafee website so I searched around to find a descent download site for it, and so here it is. Hopefully if they were smart Mcafee would update it's security suite to have this program run with it as well that way, the program can be running constantly without the need to run it every week, but it is still in beta stage so most likely they got a plan for it.

SOURCES
Here
Here
Download Here

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

As a word of warning to people, I'd be VERY careful about rootkit programs or searches looking for programs claiming to be related to them. I'm not sure how trustworty any download links are for programs I don't know about...Since rootkits are so widespread (Sony BMG disc anyone?) most decent virusscanners nowadays have this sort of protection to search and find them. Check if you really need this!

Ive been rooted before, an when I found the rootkit one day (it was related to IRC), I manually ran the program. Funny enough it was related to a buddy of mine. Rootkits are usually hard to find and detect. But Im going to download and run this program.If you check the settings, it also looks for things such as hidden registry keys. So I would be careful before you delete any "infections"

Edited by 9block (see edit history)