xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dooga

What Else Is Gmail Missing? Compared to other services

Well gmail seems to be that popular one that is authentic and easy to use. It seems to be the fastest AJAX version of mail compared to AOL, Yahoo, and the ugly Windows Live Mail. But isn't that just a bit too bizarre... there seems to be so many features... what is Gmail missing? Google is such a large and rich company, what are they not going to be able to afford. For one thing Windows Live Mail certainly is missing a lot... no POP3 no mail forwarding and really crappy unattractive ads that take up half the screen. And it doesn't let you chat on your Windows Live Messenger inside the mail interface etc. Yahoo mail isn't better, its confusing and slow interface really made it a hassle for new users and definitely wasn't favoured by a lot of people, who quickly switched back to the old, but ugly layout. Same thing with the old and ugly hotmail.So what do you think Gmail is missing?Some things I notice are folders. Sure in the web 2.0 era, people use tags or "labels" instead of folders am I correct? Gmail is for those web 2.0 saavys, not the myspace wannabes who use hotmail, right? Well surely enough, Lifehacker and all the popular web 2.0 geeks use Gmail and use it very very effectively.So I still don't know what Gmail is missing...What IS it missing?

G-Mail's missing something? I didn't know... They are the best E-Mail service on the web, even if the "Spam" folder stands out too much. If it didn't say how many spam emails you had and it wasn't in bold, that might make it better. One other thing... I would like it if they had a chat client, like AIM or MSN, as a separate program.Cause I chat a lot on that, and I also like to see what I am doing, like playing a RPG that times out, or something. My 2 cents.

Well gmail seems to be that popular one that is authentic and easy to use. It seems to be the fastest AJAX version of mail compared to AOL, Yahoo, and the ugly Windows Live Mail. But isn't that just a bit too bizarre... there seems to be so many features... what is Gmail missing? Google is such a large and rich company, what are they not going to be able to afford. For one thing Windows Live Mail certainly is missing a lot... no POP3 no mail forwarding and really crappy unattractive ads that take up half the screen. And it doesn't let you chat on your Windows Live Messenger inside the mail interface etc. Yahoo mail isn't better, its confusing and slow interface really made it a hassle for new users and definitely wasn't favoured by a lot of people, who quickly switched back to the old, but ugly layout. Same thing with the old and ugly hotmail.
So what do you think Gmail is missing?

Some things I notice are folders. Sure in the web 2.0 era, people use tags or "labels" instead of folders am I correct? Gmail is for those web 2.0 saavys, not the myspace wannabes who use hotmail, right? Well surely enough, Lifehacker and all the popular web 2.0 geeks use Gmail and use it very very effectively.

So I still don't know what Gmail is missing...

What IS it missing?

I'm not sure what Gmail could possibly be missing. It's got everything I could possibly ask for in an email service. It's a clean and simple thing to use- no confusion required :D. It has an invitation system... but people are giving them away freely. No lonnng email viewer that scrolls down for ages, you simply click on the message to view it and click it again to hide it. You can see who's online and talk to them right on the page. It's a pretty convenient program.
But I have heard of gmail having slight bugs and glitches... but I havn't experienced them myself.
I have no complaints about it as of yet.

G-Mail's missing something? I didn't know... They are the best E-Mail service on the web, even if the "Spam" folder stands out too much. If it didn't say how many spam emails you had and it wasn't in bold, that might make it better. One other thing... I would like it if they had a chat client, like AIM or MSN, as a separate program.Cause I chat a lot on that, and I also like to see what I am doing, like playing a RPG that times out, or something. My 2 cents.

Gmail does have a chat outside of the mail system. Google Talk. It's an okay program, not the most favorite, but it's more useful than having to stay on the gmail page while chatting.

REGRESTRATION WITHOUT AN INVITE!!!!!what IS it....a cult of some sort!!!!!other than that...tis flawless.....but the ban option dont work many times....

Iwould love to see MSN, YIM, and AIM be beat out by a new Google type. But Gmail tends to be a service for tech savvy users as not alot of regular email checking, web browsing MSNer's know about gmail. I know there are only a few of my friends that have a gmail account, the only other gmail accounts I see our usually tech savvy's.

Google's chat client is "Google Talk" which you can download here: https://www.google.com/hangouts/ (there is a place where you can download it, it says "Google Talk Client" and gives you this link: http://dl.google.com/googletalk/googletalk-setup.exe

REGRESTRATION WITHOUT AN INVITE!!!!

Oh really? That's weird, Gmail already has a "Sign up now" on the front page of Gmail.

Iwould love to see MSN, YIM, and AIM be beat out by a new Google type. But Gmail tends to be a service for tech savvy users as not alot of regular email checking, web browsing MSNer's know about gmail. I know there are only a few of my friends that have a gmail account, the only other gmail accounts I see our usually tech savvy's.

I do agree that a lot of tech savvys use Gmail, since it has all the features that the non-tech-savvys don't need. But non-tech-savvys are attracted to the large space... even though Windows Live Mail and Yahoo both have more than enough now. But who wants to use Windows Live Mail or Yahoo as their main email service? Yuck lol...

never tried gmail im more of a hotmail ehehehe, I know you might hate it but oh well im a out cast :XD:well probably like a notes like have your own personal notes, if the dont have one, or maybe a calculator ahaha. Games wouldn't hurt either haha, but what I would really want for gmail is your own playlist in there so you can listen to musics while reading your emails, haha (sorry if these are random stuff)

I don't really think it's missing anything, in fact I think the other services are rather lacking. The most important feature that keeps me clinging to Gmail is how it is used in conjunction with the Google toolbar. I have my google toolbar set up so whenever I click a mail hyperlink it instantly takes me to the composed message page providing I am logged it.

I agree that Gmail is missing folders. Although it has this 'tags' feature which is supposed to replace folders, my emails look very disorganized cos' they aren't hidden away in their respective folders when I don't want to see them. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to add contacts from my address book when I wish to forward emails, cos' I can't find the address book link. Also, it's full of spam, though most of it ends up in the spam box, but still, getting a few hundred spam mails in a week is quite a turn off!