xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Go Gi.

Hello everyone,For years I have had a problem with my weight, one reason being I am diabetic and dependent on insulin (which can easily make you put on weight).I had tried virtually fat free diets, eating small portions and a combination of those, however, I could not manage to get one gram off, although I do heavy karate training at least twice a week. At the end of last month I went to the dietitian (not expecting much joy) and I was told to look at the GI (glycaemic index) of foods.This means, in plain English, that the GI tables look at the impact certain carbohydrates have on your blood sugar levels.(E.g. white rice is to be avoided (high GI), while Basmati rice and egg noodles (low GI) are both fine), potatoes are to be avoided, but not pasta etc.Believe it or not, when I went to the dietitian earlier today, in less than a month I had lost 8 kg (1 st 2 lb), while my use of insulin has decreased by about 30%.The dietitian even began to speak of me being weaned off insulin altogether in the near future. For the ones about you who think "How can we achieve this by ourselves without having to consult a doctor or dietitian?" help is at hand: get the book "The GI Counter" by Dr. Mabel Blades (with foreword by Antony Worrall Thompson) Editions Kyle Cathie Limited, London, ISBN 978 1 85626 719 9.I picked a copy up in "The Works" for only ? 0.99, although the full price is only ? 3.99, so it will not break the bank either.I thought I was at a point where i thought dieting was hopeless for me and I was beyond help, but obviously this was not the case.I must confess that I do feel a lot better than I did about 20 days ago and I also do not have to suffer any hunger, let alone starvation (although I was addicted to fatty, greasy foods and lots of it).On the low GI list are loads of meat, fruits, vegetables, fish and about anything people generally like, so no one should feel this is a diet they cannot handle.I hope this advice will be useful to many of you.The best of luck,Mr. Dee.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

(E.g. white rice is to be avoided (high GI), while Basmati rice and egg noodles (low GI) are both fine), potatoes are to be avoided, but not pasta etc.

My step father follows alot of this. And our whole family used to love mashed potatoes (especially Shepards Pie :( ) just thought i would let you know that we found that if switch mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower its alot healthier. I don't know how much of fan you are of potatoes but just thought i would let you know! :)

I know it may sound gross but it actually doesn't taste much different and its a H*** of alot healthier. :(