xisto Community
mirage

Ie, Mozilla, Netscape, Or Opera?

Until recently I was using Firefox, I liked the tabbed browsing and the increased speed, but hated the RAM usage (80MB for a browser with 3 open tabs? not today thanks). So off I went to a land of sweet, sweet tabby speed, that land my friends is Opera (sorry for the slightly odd narrative method and use of non-words)Why I like Opera: firstly (and most importantly) the speed, it is commonly believed (and backed up by many independent tests) that Opera is the fastest browser), the real download manager (that actually lets me resume downloads across sessions), its (relatively) light resource usage, intergrated mail,IRC,Bittorrent clients, close buttons on each tab the list does really go on, so to all of those using Firefox (or indeed anything that is not IE) I can only recommend that you at lest try Opera, you never know you might just learn to love it as I have.

I use all three, Opera boasts to be the fastest, I have several firewalls on my computer so I don't have to worry about app downloading, and usually apps don't download so some pages are messed up when I view them. The only thing I don't like is Mozillas pixel count. It makes it much harder to design websites, because I do it the old fashioned way and write out all my scripts, so I have to conform my scripts so the positioning works on mozilla, and mozilla also doesn't show all the fonts as IE, or maybe my computer is just a bit dosed. And mozilla takes longer to open than IE, opera takes the shortest for me.Anyway, I use more IE, but Mozilla for certain things, and opera, because I do believe it is faster, it loads up faster, too.

The one browser noone around here uses is Netscape 7.2. Sure it's big and bloated, but if you have a decent amount of memory and don't overly multi-task, then it is pretty speedy. Tabbed browsing is standard, and AIM is intergrated into the sidebar. Since I have a fancy mouse with side buttons, I programmed it to open a link in a new tab with one button (normally middle-click with the scroll wheel, now with the large thumb button) and open a new tab with the other (no original button, but done with Control + T, now small thumb button). It's a really nice browser, and it's a shame more people don't use it.Edit: I now use Opera. I have discovered its truly fast speeds, and compactness (in memory). I discovered that AIM Tritton out side of Netscape is really good, so I gave up the ghost on Netscape.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

I prefer Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.2. Opera 8.53 is for an alternative browser and java applets (to speed up loading). I use IE 6 to update my computer and play Online Games. SeaMonkey 1.0.1 (Mozilla 1.7.12) is used for designing websites (sometimes).I also use Avant Browser 10.4.xx, Maxthon 1.5.1, Netscape 8.2, Windows Internet Explorer 7 BETA 2 and Opera 9 BETA.I use them ALL to test my website.

Edited by FirefoxRocks (see edit history)

I use primarily Firefox and IE. I use Opera sometimes. I have been hearing quite a bit about Maxthon, but have yet to try it. What do users of this browser see in it? What makes it unique, I guess is my question? Any feedback is welcome.