xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
9block

Easy Summer Cookings And Shopping Lists for those lazy teens

Let's see, if your younger, you might have to fend for yourself this summer. Me and my girlfriend basically eat the same thing everyday, unless someone else feeds us or we don't hit the fast food joint.Let's see some easy recipes for you too enjoy and easy to cook.Eggs... definately a must have. You can easily cook an omelette or friend egg sandwich in less than 10 minutes. My friend egg sandwich has toasted bread, with two slice of chese on the bread, then two eggs (over easy) slapped on top (sometimes with cooked ham). cut it in half and dip the sandwich in the yoke pouring out. So good.Pasta... its so easy to pour a bit of noodles in some boiling water and microwave some pasta sauce from a jar/can. takes about 20 minutes and you dont have to watch it boil. Just stir occasionally.Hotdogs/Hamburgers... hotdogs are easy to microwave (or toaster oven if your feelin ambitious), and you can put it on bread and fold bread. If your feeling more ambitious, start the BBQ up and cook some of those boxed hamburgers. def my favorite if we have hamburger buns.Cereal - If your really feeling lazy, or you only have 47 seconds before the next round of counter-strike starts... go pour your favorite bowl of cereal (cornflakes or fruity loops) and rush back to eat it in between rounds.Microwavables - I used to eat these alot. Pogos/pizza pockets/dinners/pastas. 3-5 minutes and your eating a half-decent meal that'll fill the hole.Sandwiches - Toast a bagel/bread and slap some cheese (cheez whiz) with some of your favorite meats (ham/roasteef/solami/ect)Kraft Dinner - Def a must have for the summer laziness.Heres what's on my bi-weekly shopping list...1 Box Kraft Dinner1 Bag Bagels1 Cream Cheese1 or 2 Packages of Sliced Meats1 Cartoon of Eggs1 Box of Cereal1 Package Hotdogs/Sauages1 Bag Pasta Noodles2 Cans/Jars of Pasta Saucedefinately serves me lunch/snacks for two weeks. infact, I think I am going to go grab some cereal now. hope this helps you out if your bored or just cant find something to eat. Add some other easy's to make for those lazy days/weeks/2 months off school.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Title modified.

Wow, I used to eat like that when I was in middle school and jr. high, but I learned a few things by high school. It's not really a well-balanced diet, but when you're young, your stomach can digest just about anything, so it's not like your killing yourself quickly. And if that's your bi-weely shopping list, then you're shopping way too much! (And where's the Ramen?) :D

Cooking in the summer is always a little more difficult because it's just too hot to do anything in the oven. Sometimes it's too hot to cook anything on the stove. I like using a crockpot/slow cooker because it's as good as slow roasting something in the oven and generates less than a quarter of the heat. Velma started a topic on quick and easy meals here. Since I'm the cook in the house and my husband hates eating leftovers, I have to learn how to keep things under budget and reinvent it so it just looks like we're not eating the same thing that I cooked last night. Here are some of the tips that I can give you if you want to vary your diet without breaking your budget.

Summer is the season for fresh fruits and veggies, which seem to be missing from your shopping list. It's great to have a cool, refreshing smoothie or slushie in the afternoon heat. Just throw a bunch of sliced fruits in a blender, a little bit of juice, and a handful of ice. For a smoothie, add frozen yogurt or ice cream and less ice. You can boost your veggie intake by adding a few slices of cucumber, broccoli clumps, or other veggies to these drinks because the sweetness of the fruit will mask the flavor of the veggies. You can also grill up peaches, nectarines, or bananas on the barbecue. I like to glaze bananas with a honey, OJ, and rum mixture while they're on the grill.

If you plan ahead, you could have healthy meals all week and keep the cooking to a minimum. Next time you barbecue, throw a bunch of chicken breasts on the grill. Make sure you've got at least 3-4 leftovers to keep in the fridge. Now you've got grilled chicken that you can use to make tacos, chicken sandwiches, quesadillas, or enchiladas if you're feeling ambitious. You can also make chicken salad, which is kinda like tuna salad, though that's usually better with roasted chicken instead of grilled. But you can chunk up the grilled chicken and add it to a pre-made salad like those ready-pac or fresh express ones. Fry up a few chunks with a pack of stir-fry veggies, a dash of cornstarch or flour, and a splash each of soy sauce and sesame or peanut oil (use vegetable oil if you don't have anything else). Serve over some rice or noodles.

Cook up a pound or so of ground beef or ground turkey and divide it so you can use some of it in spaghetti sauce and the rest of it in tacos. Or cook up a whole bunch and throw it in a crock pot with some chili powder, a can or so of kidney beans and some chicken or beef stock (depending on whether you used turkey or beef). You could have at least 6 servings from one pound of ground meat. Anything that you don't eat can be refrigerated for a week or so, or stuck in the freezer for a couple months.

You can slow cook a roast following the recipe that I gave Velma in that link above. It's great on sandwiches. You can also shred it and roll it up in tortillas and fry up them up for taquitos. Or you can change it up a little and get a brisket cut, throw in a bunch of barbecue sauce and some beef stock. Shred it up for some barbecue beef sandwiches.

Hope this helps!