xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GamerGlitch

Addiction To Games

So I was watching the News the other day, which is slightly unusual to me when a Report came up on Video Game Addictions. I thought this was sort of weird, because Video games don't contain nicotine, or an addictive substance, at least I hope, but further on the Report started to make more sense. It explained Video Games cause a psychological addiction ,and the addiction occurs because of the experience, and the good feeling you get from playing them. I am a gamer myself and never realized the addiction, so this Report sort of scarred me a bit. Now that I look back on it I do feel like ina way I was sort of addicted, and maybe still am :| Anyways, how do you guys feel about this issue, addiction or not?

I can see how it can viewed as an addiction, however, there are many activities that "make you feel good". Any thing that you do that makes you feel good you want to keep doing. It's why bungie jumpers and sky divers keep risking their lives, or any other thing like that. It's not really an addiction to the game, it's just an addiction to the feeling. And since gaming is the mode that the craving to reach that feeling, people call it a gaming addiction. As I see it there is no such thing as a phychological addiction (mind over matter).

So I was watching the News the other day, which is slightly unusual to me when a Report came up on Video Game Addictions. I thought this was sort of weird, because Video games don't contain nicotine, or an addictive substance, at least I hope, but further on the Report started to make more sense. It explained Video Games cause a psychological addiction ,and the addiction occurs because of the experience, and the good feeling you get from playing them. I am a gamer myself and never realized the addiction, so this Report sort of scarred me a bit. Now that I look back on it I do feel like ina way I was sort of addicted, and maybe still am :| Anyways, how do you guys feel about this issue, addiction or not?

I addiction to games is a serious matter but usually the gamers never realize they are addict. I used to play counter strike 10 hours a day and i knew i was addict but i never stopped untill my parents took some serious actions. I now spend more time on reading and playing outdoor games and yes i have become alot more healthy

The only game that I get addicted to was ragnarok online. At 1st I was addicted with that game because there are too many people playing that game.. Me and my lil brother are playing ragnarok online for 4 years and until now.. I was totally addicted to ragnarok online, I spend a lot of time playing on it, and sometimes if I have something to do, I will just leave my character in the game using a bot program, botting in ragnarok philippines is not illegal, they set it to legal so that many players with play the game, but you cant play the game without loading your account...

Addiction to video games is very dangerous. I've heard people dying just of playing games constantly for 3 days. Someone said about pulling the power cable, I've heard kids suiciding just because their parents banned them to play video game. My brother is an addict and he can't leave it. If someone in my home takes the power cable or keyboard from him, he gets mad and starts shouting, he starts fighting, if he still don't get to play, he goes to cyber cafes to play.

Sup man. haha, addicted to video games huh? Dude, in my perspective, there is nothing wrong with that. Unless its ALL you do and have no outside life, then its a problem. Heres a few tips on how to get by your video game passion. I am a victim of this myself but i can get by it lol.1. Limit the time on how you play, such as if you usually play for 2 hours, play for 1. get it? cut down.2. Go outside, enjoy the fresh air, im 14, and my dad always says, "your only young once so do what you can, while you can" lol, parents. Anyway, do exactly that enjoy the fresh air.3. You got friends right? call them up, these days everybodys got cell phones so give them a call, see if you guys can do something constructive like playin football. We play football everywhere and it rocks lol. 4. Maybe get another hobby? I play guitar, so when video games are bein gay, i play guitar, i love rock music so it clicks for me lol. For you, do something you like. Work out ( if you dont already), thats awesome for the summer cause youll got back to school and everybody will be like wtf? haha. Well, thats about all the advice i can give ya man. Trust me, theres people worse than you that are willing to sleep outside a game store for a video game, thats worse than your case.Becasue it is fun and you meet people you accomplish something there. There can be alot of reasons you are addicted to game. I am video game freak a gamer and i do play WoW but, I don't play it constantly. Try cutting your time on the computer and TV read a book I suggest Pendragon: a journal through time an space Read the frist book though Merchant of death or you'll have no idea what is going on. I couldn't put it down. go out and hang with friends some where away form video games like the park or a club. Run errands that way you won't feel so guilty when you play. Part if teh fun of playing is leveling up becaus eyou feel like you accomplished something so accomplish something in real life then pay for a while. Lets say you need milk go the the store ans stock on grocereys not just milk come home put them away and then play and try to do something every day.Or you could...Click your mouse on the start icon at the bottom left of your monitor if you are using xp, if you are using windows vista, click on the arrow on the bottom right of the window that opens. Click "shut down", stand up, stretch, turn your back on your computer, walk to the nearest exit. Don't be afraid of that bright light in the sky, it is the Sun. The Sun provides us with many life giving items and powers all lifes processes on Earth.

Fortunatelly I don't get addicted to games; sooner or later I get bored with all of them.I don't even understand people who get addicted to games like Counter Strike or World of Warcraft even though I know a few.The only game I got the feeling I was getting addicted to is Heroes of Might and Magic III. I played it for two years almost every day, but this is behind me now.

Yes...me too have read and heard about the addiction to games thing. But frankly speaking I never felt addicted to game...I m a regular gamer and play a lot of games..mostly multiplayer games which I play on LAN. Yes, when I start a new game, and if I find it very awesome, then I might not be able to resist the game for quite a few days...but after some days everything is back to normal and the game become just another game I play. So I never felt never addicted to game. But I play games on regular basis that is daily so I think I may be addicted to gaming ....I can't do anything else if I see my friend playing game on lan..I have to join them..I can't resist thats for sure. Is that addiction or just excitement to play and beat the opponents.....I can't decide....Hey ...after writing all this ..I think that its true to some extent that I m really addicted to gaming...so its true is an addiction....but I haven't found any demerits of gaming addiction...at least in my case...I do all others things too apart from playing ...playing games is just a routine of my day..and I do just like any other regular thing in my life like for example sleeping,eating etc.......After writing all this I have realised that I m still confused ...am I addicted to games or its normal for me to play games as most of all my friends in the hostel do it. I agree that I have a strong desire to play games...but they are secondary to all other things in my life..like studies...and college work ..etc....I still don't know...may be I m addicted.

Game addiction causes very quickly. I, myself, am a gamer and I have an addiction of playing games on my PS2 console. But I do agree with you there, I don't realize the addiction myself. I've been playing online & console games since 2006, and I still do.

Addict is sort of hard to define. There are all these news reports about addictions to video games and their detrimental effect on health (i.e. people dont go outside, exercise, have other hobbies etc) but it really depends on the inidividual person. I go through periods where I play games alot on my DS and other periods where I dont touch it for ages. Playing is really more for enjoyment, whether its an addiction and whether it poses a problem is up for debate really.

Addiction is result of secretion of some complex harmones in your body due to reaction to some outer stimulants. Same is the case with the gaming, your adrenaline rush will be too high when you are excited and once your mind accepts and starts liking the increased levels of it, you will get addicted to the same activity. Games along with playing skills develop certain traits in your personality as well which might be good or bad according to environment such as violence, quickness, speed it depends that your addiction to a particular game is good and bad. And too much of anything is just bad in fact.

I knew I should search for this before I started a similar thread and here we are! So a lot of people do have gaming addiction.

I caught it in a strange way. I lived in an environment where kids all around me played games on the latest consoles available according to the time, but I was denied access to all of them owing to my bad luck. To this day I haven't played a console game :(

So you can imagine what I did when I did get to play a computer game - I was hooked onto it! All this time I have been playing games (all on the PC of course) and it's been a really unhealthy addiction, starting with me getting glasses and then getting stressed out and all. I get the urge to play games whenever I have an important exam and stuff like that. Too bad I haven't found a solution to this yet....or maybe, I don't want to! :angel:

I like games, but don't really have an addiction. If I find a good game, I'll be addicted to it and complete it in about a week. But these days I can rarely find a game worth playing anyway so... Meh. I'm kinda picky when it comes to games.- Deji

Well then Deji, I think you should start getting into Counter-Strike: Source. :angel: Awesome shooter game, you'll love it. (I think) Just try not to get whooped by good ol' Sky. :(-Reply by Kel (Owner of this account {-Sky-})

There is definitely no psychical addiction to video gaming. There may be a psychological addiction to the audio-visual stimulus gaming provides, or even just a strong desire to play. (I'm having one right now for Football Manager 2009)