xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Help: Harddrive Problem

I've a System running Windows XP Pro SP2, with the following configurationP IV 3GHz HT processor, Intel 915GWVB Motherboard, 512MB RAM, Segate Barracuda 160GB 7200rpm SATA HDD, LG DVD WriterI've a total of 12 partitions in my 160GB HDD. 11 are NTFS and 1 FAT32. I've a seperate partion for each type of files. Recently i installed a copy of Windows XP Pro ( No SP2) in one of the partitions, i failed to recognize all but 3 partitions. In tte fresh installation if I click on the corresponding partitons i get an access denied error. I can access only 2 NTFS and 1 FAT32 partitions. In the Win XP OS installation process, where we select the drive where the OS will be installed, in the list of available partitions by the installer all the 12 partitions were identified but only 3 partitions were shown with the right free space available in them, for all others they were displayed as empty, un partitioned space. Is this an indicator that my drive is failing, or anyother problem please help me.

Usually when you are using an i386 processor you are limited to up to 4 partitions. If you had something like Hiren's Boot CD or some other boot disk you could use recovery software and partitioning software to try and merge partitions or back them up onto CDs, delete the partitions, and replace them with larger partitions. It might be a wise idea to use folders and 7zip/RAR archives next time on a single partition rather than partitions to separate data. The only 2 partitions you should have are:1) Your main bootable partition with Windows XP2) Your backup partition with files you want to back upAny extra partitions would be used by other OSes that windows will not protect. They should use 2 partitions as well - One main, and one swap partition for virtual memory(unless you're using eComStation, BeOS variants, or some other OS that does not use such a partition). I wouldn't worry about Windows not detecting partitions. I've heard this problem many times over and usually it's just Windows being Windows.

Most likley Tetraca answered your question but hte question I have to ask though why do you have so many partitions though? IT seems a bit ridiculous to have that man to begin with when you have other methods of storing back up data. You have external Hard drives, Gmail (:)) and of course the few million filehosting websites that are there. I can see installing several OS onto your computer and what not but for storing and possible restoring data seems kind of frivolous to do as such.