xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TikiPrincess

Betcha I Can! My weight loss incentive

So I did a little side job delivering flowers for Secretary's Week and Mother's Day and earned a bit of money. I'm going to be going to a bachelorette party at the end of August, and I really don't want to stick out as the fat cow there. My goal is to lose 15 lbs which should put me right in my target body weight range, somewhere between 110 and 120 lbs. As incentive, I handed my hard-earned money to my husband and told him to give it back to me when I've lost the weight. So far, I've lost about 4-5 lbs. in the last 2 weeks, but since August is coming up, I think I need to step it up. And I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Here's what my routine has been so far:

Eating 3-4 small meals a day.

Eating more vegetables and limiting my fruits to 3 or 4 servings of fresh fruit rather than fruit juice or smoothies.

The only fast food I eat is a sandwich or a salad from Togo's or Subway.

Drinking more water and less soda. I usually only have soda 2-3 times a week.

Walking my dog every morning for about 30 min.

I'm trying to eat more fish and less of other meats. It's mostly chicken and fish for me, sometimes some ground beef in the spaghetti sauce.

Cut back my alcohol to 2-3 glasses a week. I hate doing it, but they're empty calories that I can't afford. So I just concentrate on drinking hard liquor instead of beer.

I've tried doing some pilates videos, but I've got screws and plates holding my elbow in place, so it hurts to lay on my elbows. I'm also not as flexible since I had the accident (you should see me trying to hold a phone to my ear, it's hilarious). I enrolled in a swimming course for 6 weeks that starts in July, but that's only once a week.

I refuse to cut carbs out of my diet. Not only do I love them, but I think that they're necessary for our bodies as I mentioned in another post. I guess I could eat less of the simple carbs like white bread and eat more of the complex carbs like whole wheat pasta.

And my weaknesses have been ice cream and cheese. I've tried to control my ice cream craving by buying Dibs, which are little half inch bon bon thingies, and shoving the carton in the back of the freezer so that I have to move everything to get it out. I've also made myself eat just one tiny half inch square, then go away for at least half an hour before I can get another one. Usually the craving passes and I've only eaten about 7 in the last 3 months. But I have dessert when we have get togethers with our friends, so I've definitely had more ice cream than that. The weakness that I can't get a hold of is cheese. I love cheese on almost everything. I'll have tomato and cheese on toast as a midmorning snack, then more cheese in my sandwich for lunch and there's usually something at dinner that I can eat with cheese.

My biggest goal here is not just to lose the weight, but to develop a healthy lifestyle so that I can keep the weight off. But I really do want to have my money back so I can spend it at the bachelorette party. So help me win my bet and post your suggestions here!

Thank you very much! :)

My advise is always to "Eat less, Move more". You seem to be focusing on the eat less part.Get a bicycle and use it for short hops to the store, or work, or other short trips instead of driving. Extend the dog walks in both time and distance, maybe adding hillier ground to cover. Swimming is an excellent method to 'tone' yourself, but in my experience, this may not actually lead to weight lose since muscle mass actually adds weight, but you will be 'trimmer' at the same weight.Good luck and keep us posted in your advances towards your goal.

Since when is around 130 or so pounds considered fat? In my opinion, you shouldn't have made the bet—it is unnecessary.

Let's turn the list into numbers for easier reference.

Eating 3-4 small meals a day.

Eating more vegetables and limiting my fruits to 3 or 4 servings of fresh fruit rather than fruit juice or smoothies.

The only fast food I eat is a sandwich or a salad from Togo's or Subway.

Drinking more water and less soda. I usually only have soda 2-3 times a week.

Walking my dog every morning for about 30 min.

I'm trying to eat more fish and less of other meats. It's mostly chicken and fish for me, sometimes some ground beef in the spaghetti sauce.

Cut back my alcohol to 2-3 glasses a week. I hate doing it, but they're empty calories that I can't afford. So I just concentrate on drinking hard liquor instead of beer.

What do you consider "small"? Those plates that are half the size (or smaller) of normal plates? If so, make it 4-5.

A day or weekly?

You may be better off making your own, for the dressings in either, chances are, are bad for your health anyways.

Whole soda bottles (2 liters) or cans? Make your own drink with the fruit you buy. But yeah, water's good. :)

If your dog is hyper, you're gonna be doing more than walking. :)

Don't go passed more than 2 a week for fish; AHA recommended. As for spaghetti sauce, make your own with the vegies you buy.

Stressful life before this or you just like the taste? I say cut back on it entirely, and let the only alcohol come from the cooking wine, if any.

But why should you take the time to make some of the things mentioned? Consider it a small, probably even (very) tiny workout. ;) And it's healthier this way. And it may take your mind off of, let's say, cheese. ;)

I guess I could eat less of the simple carbs like white bread and eat more of the complex carbs like whole wheat pasta.

Mhmm. Of course that kind of pasta is a bit more expensive, but i buy it anyways. :P I get it mostly for the added Omega-3 fatty acids. I'm not a big fan of fish. :X But i'll eat it, but mostly shrimp for me. :)

My biggest goal here is not just to lose the weight, but to develop a healthy lifestyle so that I can keep the weight off.

Don't worry about the weight, worry about what you eat, and the weight will take care of itself.

But I really do want to have my money back so I can spend it at the bachelorette party.

You can pull off being healthy with just 65% of all recommendations. That should help, money-wise. Even more so if you use the money which used to be wasted on alcohol on food.

Thanks for being so supportive!

@jlhaslip - heh, it's just hard to get off my lazy butt sometimes! :) I think I'll try your suggestion of walking to the market instead of driving. It just means that I can't carry as much, which means that I'll have to walk there more often! I just can't do that when I go to Costco. :)

@truefusion - Since I'm only 5', the doctor recommended that my weight be between 105-120. So I'm a little overweight and most of it is belly fat, which is I guess more unhealthy than if it went to another area like hips or thighs or something like that. Plus I'll be at this bachelorette party with hot, young, tall, blonde bombshells that epitomize the California look, and I feel dorky since I'm a little Filipina. Don't get me wrong, I love being me. But to be honest, girls don't get all pretty to impress guys, they do it to impress other girls.

Small meaning a bowl of cereal or oatmeal, a 6" sandwich split into two portions for lunch or a half serving of leftovers, and usually a half serving for dinner

Daily - it's suggested to eat 3 servings of fruit and 5 servings of vegetables a day. one serving = 1/2 cup

I usually get my sandwiches dry and the dressing on the side for salads. I like creamy dressings, but I usually order the balsamic vinagrette instead.

Just a can. I don't have any at home, so it's just when eat at our friend's house.

:) She used to walk me instead of the other way around. Obedience school does wonders.

I limit my tuna and salmon because of the mercury (I'm assuming that's why you said only 2/week), but tilapia is supposed to be safe.

I drink a glass of wine with dinner every once in awhile. If I'm boozin, then I'll mix up a 7&7 or a lemon drop if I want to look trendy. My life is pretty easy and far from stressful at the moment. I could give up drinking entirely, like when I was taking medication, but it's a small pleasure that I partake every once in awhile. Not to mention free since we don't go to bars or clubs, just hang out at our friend's house every week and his bar is fully stocked. People bring their favorite alcohol to stock the bar with and my husband and I bought sodas instead.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll update to let you know if I made any progress.

Well you seem to have the right idea tikiprincess :)But I hope you read my post on how you can trick yourself into eating less, and you'll get to your goal faster!Also, may I suggest getting into tennis? Just getting out and hitting balls around with your buddies is a good one to two hour of viggorous activity!

* Eating 3-4 small meals a day. * Eating more vegetables and limiting my fruits to 3 or 4 servings of fresh fruit rather than fruit juice or smoothies.
* The only fast food I eat is a sandwich or a salad from Togo's or Subway.
* Drinking more water and less soda. I usually only have soda 2-3 times a week.
* Walking my dog every morning for about 30 min.
* I'm trying to eat more fish and less of other meats. It's mostly chicken and fish for me, sometimes some ground beef in the spaghetti sauce.
* Cut back my alcohol to 2-3 glasses a week. I hate doing it, but they're empty calories that I can't afford. So I just concentrate on drinking hard liquor instead of beer.

1. If I remember correctly if you have 1-2 small meals (proportion size) then of course the bigger dinner that could help. Of course I am a big snacker so it kind of defeats the purpose for me :) It's All about proportions and it seems that your doing it right now. It's not hte size of hte meals its the amount of calories you take in and then of course the calories you burn as well. If I remember correctly again, you need to purn double the calories that you take in or something like that.

2. eating fresh veggies and fruits is a good thing as well, not aware of what smoothies can do, although if you start packing a lot of stuff into the blender then maybe.

3, for the most part your eating healthy I guess but if you make the sandwhichs and salads your self they be a lot fresher without ther preservatives and junk. I drastically cut down on Mcdonalds and Burger King, I usually go to subway or D'angelo's for my subs .

4. Good idea you can also mix in juice as well like cranberry juice to flush the system out, I practically cut down on my soday as well, drink like at least 6-8 liters a week, switch over to Gatorade to calm down my sugar needs and what not.

5. Exercise is always good, instead of walking job with your dog you will get a better work out by doing that.

6. It's all about proportions and what calories you take in, so if you follow the tree pyramid somewhat you could eat most everything. As for beef make sure it's like 90-95 lean, and that way your cutting out a lot of fat and grease when you coolk it.

7. Alcohol is fine in moderation so stay away from binging on it and you will have a tighter tummy.

Overall if you have a work out that consists of a lot of cardio and muscle toning it will help you drop some of the fat. I should practice what I preach as well because I am about 30+ over my weight limit :)

My advise is always to "Eat less, Move more". You seem to be focusing on the eat less part.

That's very true.

More excersise is better then eating less.