xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
demonatashadow

Problem With Redirection

Now I have a problem with redirecting. Ok, I want it so when I type in animeshadows.com for it go to animeshadows.com/forums, but when I put in the redirect in the cpanel it says this:"/" is located above forums in the whatever stuff. Thats the message and the redirect does not add. How come?

Which redirection you using? The domain redirecting service or the Cpanel, if the cpanel it should work fine just remember you need to type in the full domain and whatever folder you want it to go to in the redirecting set up just not adding /forum.

Which redirection you using? The domain redirecting service or the Cpanel, if the cpanel it should work fine just remember you need to type in the full domain and whatever folder you want it to go to in the redirecting set up just not adding /forum.

Yeah I tried it from Cpanel.

My domain name is animeshadows.com So I try

animeshadows.com redirect to animeshadows.com/forums

I typed in the full link for both of them, but when I try http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it gets all screwed up. I already tried it from the domain host, didn't work either.

How To: Change Your Website's Index File

a simple trick using the .htaccess file

A simple tutorial which only involves editing one little file. Useful for those of us who have mime-typed extensions or who are creating lots of test design files and want an easy way to make the design they like best their default file.

1. Create a file called .htaccess in the /public_html/ folder if you don't have it. I think one should be there already when you get your site so if it isn't you should create it anyway!

2. In the file write the following:

DirectoryIndex best_design.weirdext

3. Replace best_design.weirdext with the file you want your index page to be.

4. Open your website and if all has worked well, you should have your customized index page.

All agreed it's a lot simpler than the mouseover tutorial a did. Any questions/comments regarding this tutorial.

You can put sub-directories in the file, too.

Quoted from this tutorial.

Yeah, when you mean file, lets say mine is forum. Do you replace the wierdex with /forum and is there any specific place in the file where you have to put the code (on top, under this line, etc.)?