xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TikiPrincess

Can Men And Women Ever Be Equal?

Anthropologists have shown that most nomadic tribes were matriarchal, that is ruled by a woman. She would make all the important decisions regarding the tribe, such as when to move, where to go, and what jobs people would do. Through Judaism, some tribes became patriarchal, and this patriarchal culture has persisted through the Western world and spread through imperialism and colonialism. (Note: I am not undermining or attacking any religion, I am stating a fact that certain religions, in fact many religions, are patriarchal and tend to favor men over women.) Other tribes continued to be matriarchal until the discovery of agriculture and the rise of settlements. Men began to take control of the settlements and women's roles became undervalued and their role in the community grew smaller and smaller.

Women in the US and many other countries have been fighting for equality: an equal voice in legislature, equal pay at jobs, and equal rights to the benefits that men are entitled to. They've countered the arguments about genetic and mental inferiority through science and proven their ability to compete at the same level as men in almost every field. Yet the actualization of equality is still far from our reach.

Despite the fact that women and men are nearly the same physically, the fact remains that our bodies are different. The presence of a womb does make us different from men and able to do something which they cannot, whether we choose to use it or not. Other studies in psychology have shown that most women do process things differently than men. Women are known to be better at multi-tasking than most men, who must process things one at a time rather than all at once. Whether it's conditioning or biological, the fact remains that there are differences between men and women, so can the two sexes ever really be considered equal?

As far as I am concerned, they are equal. Ok, they may be better in doing some jobs than the other , but at the end of the day, they are working to do better in this world and thats it. We are equal.

this is an interesting topic,to leave ur tribe stuff u where talking about alone,cause i think we must be lucky to have tribes, so we can still learn something about the past,wich i think is always interesting,i think if u look back in the past that females, where always put as a weak gender,in the last 50 years this has changed alot ,in the todays world you'll see women working just like man, the only thing basicly whats different, are the fysical,jobs,men do that women don't ,meaning i think men and women are equal. alltho i think they should respect eachother qualities ,meaning that we need to repect what they are good at(womens),and they have to respect what men do,everyone in the world knows u females supost to be the strong gender,and we die sooner than women, but there is only 1 reason why we die sooner, and thats because, we have to work like maniacs, than listen ur the females whining all they than have sex with,them, than i don't know why they say ur the strong gender, where just dying cause we can't take the whining anymore, and the whining keeps the females alive longer cause thats like drinking beer for themoh yeah but i still think women and men are equal, but women, plzz stop the whining^^

I dont really believe so which is a shame. Most women can do the same things as men can do, and men sometimes cant do what women do... but yet there is a big disadvantage in both sex, if you are a women you have a more chance of a sectary. and men would probally not get that job.. lol, anyways... its just in the eyes of the employer... and the world, some see women as a threat some see them just as another nobody person...

I think that women are equal if not more to men.Get ready for my feminist rant.I'm sick to tears of the male chauvonist mentalaty that we are below men. I'd like to see a man try and give birth to a baby. The other day I wanted to hit my uncle over the head with a shovel because he was going on some rant about how women are poor leaders, and women shouldn't be presidents, and how women would be horrible wartime leaders and blah blah blah.Like tikiprincess said, we posess the womb, we keep the human race going, we raise the kids. We cook the meals. And most importantly, we don't act like apes when we see someone like pamela anderson.

I think that women are equal if not more to men.
Get ready for my feminist rant.

I'm sick to tears of the male chauvonist mentalaty that we are below men. I'd like to see a man try and give birth to a baby.

The other day I wanted to hit my uncle over the head with a shovel because he was going on some rant about how women are poor leaders, and women shouldn't be presidents, and how women would be horrible wartime leaders and blah blah blah.

Like tikiprincess said, we posess the womb, we keep the human race going, we raise the kids. We cook the meals.

And most importantly, we don't act like apes when we see someone like pamela anderson.

hahahha ,women more than men, is wrong to they shoyuld be equal, and ,females keep the human race going ,what a nonsence there, u need a man to even make a child, and yes u give birth and as ,speaking for all man thank god for that, but u obviously have much to learn,if u think women raise kids and men don't,u raise ur kids together, in the time we live in ,either man and women in a relationship have jobs,so its not always the women stays home and take care of the kids, its u make kids together,and raise them together PERIOD
Edited by crazymind21 (see edit history)

This topic name does't clear that i wich case women and men are not equal or equal...I think women and men are equal in some cases and in some cases they are not and these cases are clear and no one can say wrong to themfirstly it is clear men are more powerfull then women okayif some women think that it is wrong then okay if some thiefs enters in your house then leave your all family mens there in the house and go fight with the thiefs hehesecondly , women and men are euqual with respect to right, they both have same rights.altast i believe that women should be respected and should be entertained in all aspects of life.

that is a good question,i personally think we are not equal.and no im not being stereotypical or something, we jsut arent equal.its got nothing to do with our intelligence,or job capabilities, it is simply the way we are.there was always and always will be the battle between the two sexes, to prove self worth.its just the way it works..pitty huh

Anthropologists have shown that most nomadic tribes were matriarchal, that is ruled by a woman. She would make all the important decisions regarding the tribe, such as when to move, where to go, and what jobs people would do. Through Judaism, some tribes became patriarchal, and this patriarchal culture has persisted through the Western world and spread through imperialism and colonialism. (Note: I am not undermining or attacking any religion, I am stating a fact that certain religions, in fact many religions, are patriarchal and tend to favor men over women.) Other tribes continued to be matriarchal until the discovery of agriculture and the rise of settlements. Men began to take control of the settlements and women's roles became undervalued and their role in the community grew smaller and smaller.

Women in the US and many other countries have been fighting for equality: an equal voice in legislature, equal pay at jobs, and equal rights to the benefits that men are entitled to. They've countered the arguments about genetic and mental inferiority through science and proven their ability to compete at the same level as men in almost every field. Yet the actualization of equality is still far from our reach.

Despite the fact that women and men are nearly the same physically, the fact remains that our bodies are different. The presence of a womb does make us different from men and able to do something which they cannot, whether we choose to use it or not. Other studies in psychology have shown that most women do process things differently than men. Women are known to be better at multi-tasking than most men, who must process things one at a time rather than all at once. Whether it's conditioning or biological, the fact remains that there are differences between men and women, so can the two sexes ever really be considered equal?

The type of society depends very much on their needs. Nomadic tribes were matriarchal because man used to go hunting so women were left home for some time. More the point man took a greater risk and since the female part is far more important for his species survival, since a small amount of females can give birth to a lot of individuals, but a large amount of males and a small amount of females can't give birth to more individuals. So basically in a nomadic society females are far more important than males. That's why women were in charge, because without them the species would have died.

But in today's world the species survival is no longer at stake. So women aren't as important as to be. Man don't go any longer to hunt... In other words the situation in family took a right turn. Man has always been physically more powerful than women so it was only logical for him to rule the family.

It is very hard for me to imagine equality between genders. First of all because there are very big differences physical and psychical. I fail to see a family with no ruler simply because every society, including the family needs to be lead by someone. Equality would mean that there would be no one in charge of the family. That is impossible... So equality between genders is only a dream, something that cannot be done. It would require perfect morality and that cannot ever be achieved.

yes adriantc i am 100% quite with your wordings.... This question depends upon the society in wich we are living every question about women change with respect to envoirnment and society ,See the example of afganistan where the women literacy rate is almost zero but it does't mean that they are sniffing the women rights and voilate the human right but i think as i say that it changes with envoirnment and society ...

I don't really believe that anything, even men and women, can ever truly be equal. One side of things will always have an advantage to some degree over the other, and I don't think it will always be men with that advantage... but I think that one side will always have just that little bit more of whatever (be it power, freedom, money, strength...) than the other side.Seeing as how in the past there have been several examples of women leaders and such, I think that things just go back and foreth between the sexes, so it probably all evens out in the wash so to speak, but at any given time, I think that either the men or the women will have more than their counterparts. Especially in certain parts of the world.That's not to say that all men have more now than all women. There are plenty of women right now with a higher standing than plenty of men. But I'm thinking that men are somewhat in the lead overall because (here at least) a man will earn more money from doing the same job as a woman in certain companies (but this is changing) and many of the people in power here are men (more than half anyway). Though the country is still led by our Queen overall (mind you, most of the control still falls on the Prime Minister, who is a man). So yea, it's like you win some and you lose some...But that's only in certain countries such as Canada where things have evened out pretty well. There are many countries where even the fundamental rights of a person a different depending on whether you are male or female.But I think the only time that anything is truly equal with something else, is for that split second while the two powers are switching places. Any other time, I'd say there's always an advantage to the one side, no matter how large or small that advantage may happen to be. Just my opinion though, but yea, a lot of it all depends on the environment too, because even if something were to be equal in one part of the world, it's not necessarily going to be the same everywhere else...

As far as I'm concerned, both genders start off equal. One may be better than the other doing specific tasks, job mindset and so forth, but as one other poster has said already, they are working towards job-specific goals at the end of the day.But as far as competitiveness goes, have to agree that both genders are always bound to try to out-do one another, but also both genders should receive the same rights, same with races etc.

Biologically woman will never be equal to men. Not because of the genitiles, but because of the difference in brains. Early research has shown that there is 1 spot in the human brains that differ in man and woman.Mentally they will be equal. I'd say that they're almost the same. A simple example is that woman now can be the only one in the family that earn money.

As an Anarcho-Communist I must believe all should be equal in any way possible. However the reason Capitalism has succeeded so well is because it isn't against human nature, just logic. For this reason I can safely say that Men and Women will never be equal becase one will try to dominate the other through religion, through sexism, through descrimination, et cetera.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)