xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
srujanlive

Safari have you tried it yet?

Apple has released Safari, the popular browser for Macs to Windows XP and Vista. Delivering his keynote address at WWDC, Steve Jobs announced the release. It can be downloaded at http://www.apple.com/safari/
First hand the browser looks good and very Mac like similar to iTunes. It is shown on the website to be faster than IE and Firefox. (Opera not compared) Howerver like Firefox, it is a resource hog. One digg page with around 700 comments took up 108 MB of my RAM. It is quicker than Firefox but not Opera. Anyway it is beta release. But does this pave the way for Dashboard and widgets on Windows? We don't need them anyway. Google Desktop does fine. The other highlights of were the features of the next version of their OS , Leopard. Which looks simikar to Windows Vista with all the transparencies. But it has a Finder which shows results with Coverflow and Quicklook , which shows your documents without the need to open a program.
Another interesting feature is the Core animation.. This is perhaps the killer app.

Cool!That is another Browser we need to be aware of when coding our web-sites. I downloaded it, and checked it against the search:Acid Test for Standards Compatibility and it seems to be closer to the standards than the Firefox 2.0.0.4 I normally use. A little problem with the eyes and chin, but do the Acid Test with IE7 :lol:Thanks for the link.

I will admit that when I saw this on yahoo, I asked a question to myself as to why make a browser that is primarily used for Mac computers and import a windows version. Yeah I see one reason that would be for designing a website that would be seen by a mac computer but thats the only thing I really came up with, because of the fact you got 3 top of line browsers already on the market that are battling it out for dominance. Although IE is still in the lead firefox is catching up with Opera in a third place and now with safari will take the 4th place; but I guess time will tell when and if Safari can reach the top and I know a lot of people at Microsoft just went into damage control to see what they now have to in order to stay at the top of the browser wars.But the one thing I do like is the RSS Feed drop down, I think that is hte best idea someone could have come up with so you don't have to open all these extra tabs and go back and forth between web pages. Of course the one thing I dislike about the browser is the way it looks but I guess people will start producing skins to alter the look to it. I have to look at safari a bit more to get a better opinion about it before uninstall it from my computer and move on.

I downloaded it and didn't see anything special in it at all ... infact just after half an hour I un-installed it right now. Firefox will still remain my primary browser but I thought of switching from Opera to Safari as my secondary browser but then the performance really didn't change much, I didn't look at the statistics, but it equally bugged me. On my PC, Firefox is way faster than any other browser and though it technically eats more RAM, don't know why it still functions better and keeps my PC from lagging. :lol:We might just need this to make sure that our web-sites look good on Macs as Saint_Michael already said. And it looks, err, I was never fond of the looks of anything Apple related, it just didn't make the cut for me, and all these -brushed metal- type thing really doesn't look good to my eyes. It was 29 MB when Opera is 5 MB, took more RAM while in standby while Opera took half the RAM while still loading the page! So I guess Opera is still better than Safari and over-all, I find no reason for me to keep this thing on my PC at all.As for web-designing, I haven't really started doing much work and/or there might be simulators available. :D

Yes finally I think more websites will check with safari now that is available for windows, but it's engine is extremely similar to firefox so it compiles the HML almost exactly alike. I've always liked the look of safari and some of the extra little features it provides such as an input box type search. It rounds off the corners and adds a little magnifying glass just as you would see in itunes!. Just <input type="search"> instead of text. All other browsers render it as a normal text box but give safari users a nice little bonus. If you add autosave='somename' to the tag, where somename is the file you want it to read and save previous searches from, clicking on the magnifying glass will give you a list of the most recent submissions from that text box. You can define how many searches you want showing up with the result attribute. All together would look something like this

<input placeholder='Search'  autosave='Xisto' results=10 type=search>

But I just added that on a side note. I thought it was pretty neat when I saw it! Anyway safari has always been my favorite browser on my mac because the creators of firefox didn't care enough to make it work properly on the mac. Most things that deal with transparencies and tables break on the mac version of firefox. It will be interesting to see safari competing against the windows version of firefox, which doesn't have these problems.

I downloaded this last night when a friend told me it had come out. Unforutnately there seems to have been a massive screw up, as on my Windows box there is no text at all on any of the menus, address bar, About box or anything :lol: It does make it kinda hard to use! I also don't like the fact Apple have started bundling loads of their software together by default. For example, the default download of Safari includes Quicktime and Bonjour - why?Anyway, I don't think I'll leave Opera any time soon - Safari has nothing new for me and there is no feature I look at and go "Wow" like the mouse gestures when Opera first introduced them. That, and Opera's GUI works...

I just tried safari and have got to say I loved its look. The address bar doubles up as a progress bar which is really neat and the rest of the interface is also quite good.?It?also was?quite?fast?however I noticed some graphical problems and also it didn't warn me that the download will stop if i close the main window (the download manager was in a separate window). But being a beta I think it can get away with that. I don't know how secure it is but it definitely deserves a try. It?will?heat?up?the?browser?wars but it's a long way from making me switch over to it from opera.

Well if you think about the browser wars Opera is in 3rd place while firefox is 2nd and gaining while Internet explorer is top dog, I know there are a few other good browsers that are on the market, which of course use the IE engine to make them work, of course one million downloads in 2 days is not bad which would keep safari at 4th place for awhile. But like I mentioned before in a couple of other topics, whats hte point of having safari besides using it for developing applications and websites when you have 3 other browsers that have a better foothold then it does?

safari version 3 is also in the market now ...many web browser came in the market after the Mozilla Firefoxif u are dialup user then login with ur gmail account in both browser see a difference how different browser treated gmail.. firefox load gmail in different way while IE treated it with different way.... would no it ?