xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

How To Use Keyboard As A Mouse?

How to use keyboard as a mouse?

Do you know that you can move mouse pointer by keyboard keys and even drag and drop icons and folders? Yes Windows lets you do this and control mouse pointer by using keyboard keys. It is called Mouse Key.

To do this, hold down left Shift and Alt and press NumLock (Shift+Alt+NumLock). Windows will display a dialog box, press OK to accept this function.

A mouse icon will appear in the system tray. It means that Mouse Keys are enabled and you can use both numeric keypad keys and mouse to control mouse pointer.

To control mouse pointer you can use numeric keypad keys.

To move mouse pointer you can use 1,2,3,4, 6,7,8,9.

To click on icons you can use number 5, you may ask, which click? The right, the left or the middle button. The mouse icon in the system tray show you, which button is.

To change to the left button first press / and then press 5

To change to the right button first press ? and then press 5

To change to the middle button first press * and then press 5.

To Drag &Drop, first press + then move the icon location and then press 0.

this function works on windows xp, windows 2003 and windows vista.

Hmm never knew that. I wonder how many other tricks I do not know about Windows Xp. Hmm there are som many things to learn about Operating Systems.

i know about this before, although i never really thought it could be "activated". i just remember using the number pad for the mouse because we didn't have a spare mouse back then. my brother probably activated the mouse so when i used it i was actually able to make the mouse move using the keypad.

Yeah, this especially useful if you have a USB mouse but PS2 keyboard when your computer crashes, and blocks all USB...however it never got built into laptops in the same way....I wonder why....However, I still own a keyboard so old that it connects via the old PS2 ports, and it has speciallist mouse keys, not doubling as a numberpad, and have a seperate connection via an old serial port, perhaps I'll take a picture of it as a laugh....(I also have a computer so old it doesn't have a mouse AT ALL, so this is the only way to move the cursor! 10MB hard drive, 256kb ram....5.25" floppy: beat that!)