xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

I use bit defender because I can :PIt has everything I could need eg. reg cleaner,diak defragmentor etc...I never used to use any security system before ^_^ and got about 3,000 items of crap :P = OS reinstall :D

i think AVG, AVAS, McAfee, Kapersky, etc....its so good antivirus program...butIn my country (Indonesian) i don't use it....i just use PCMAV(PC Media Antivirus) and combine it with ClamAV, as we know ClamAV is antivirus for Linux with Large database of kind virus. and also you can easier to update it with ClamAV database and its everyday.....so....when i'm protect My computer my first AntiVirus is PCMAV+ClamAV and the other is McAfee for my firewall....

According to pc world here are the top anti-virus.

1 BitDefender 9 Standard2 McAfee VirusScan 2006
3 Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0
4 F-Secure Anti-Virus 2006
5 Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2006
6 Panda Software Panda Titanium 2006 Antivirus + Antispyware
7 AntiVir Personal Edition Classic 6.32
8 Alwil Software Avast Home Edition 4.6
9 Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security Security 2006
10 Grisoft AVG Free Edition 7.1

it's according to pc world.
but you can post your anti-virus experience and comparisons here
please vote for the top anti-virus for you.

Notice from truefusion:
Quote what is not yours and from outside sources.

I'm not muc of a security guy. I'm not a guy who knows how to test AVs but if I was the one compiling the list Kaspersky would sit on top of the list UNRIVALLED. I have more that a dozen PCs on a LAN, with different AVs and my experience has taught me that:

McAfee can be easily disabled by malware. I see the red sign(On access scan disabled) more than 7 times a day and God knows how many viruses will be hitting me when I'm in that state.

Symatec doesn't have most of the definitions u'll b expecting. I remember when I was hit by Kibaki(kebtos), symantec could not detect anything and their site had nothing on the little devil. I had YahLover on all my removables but I could only see it on machines running McAfee, despite updating symantec everyday(this I think does not work coz I believe they only update once a week).

AVG is good but does not detect some of the things Kaspersky detects. I had probles with AVG 8's firewall. I could not access network folders or Remote Desktop my computer with the AVG firewall on. Of cause I believe there is a way to get around the problem but the fact that it's not obvious turns me off. I have since reverted to AVG 7.5

I'm not the perfect gy to listen to coz I havent tried the other packages but I just thought i should share what I have experienced.

I have seen many antivirus software "solutions" running on and ruining Windows-based PCs. The fact is that most antivirus are so heavy that, even if they succeed in protecting the computers where they are installed, they sensibly slow down their performance.With that in mind, I think that one of the best antivirus around is still NOD32 by ESET. It's really light and fast, their updates are frequent and incremental, and it has the highest detection rate I have seen.I am not related to ESET in any way. I am just saying what I have seen through my own eyes.Of course, there is no such thing as an unbeatable antivirus. It also helps to have what I call a "defensive computer policy", which includes browsing only trusted websites, opening only safe files, etc. But NOD32 would be my choice if I ever needed an antivirus.

Interesting posts. I too am not the keen on virus stuff but i suppose it all has to be done.The thing is it costs so much unless you can find a decent free one. Most of my mates use AVG and thats it. I have norton and it plays me about a little. Is AVG any good ?

Interesting posts. I too am not the keen on virus stuff but i suppose it all has to be done.
The thing is it costs so much unless you can find a decent free one.

Most of my mates use AVG and thats it. I have norton and it plays me about a little.

Is AVG any good ?

Yes, AVG is good. But IMHO Avast is even better. And it's free for personal and non-comercial users. You only have to register online (it's quick and painless as far as I can remember).

It's only weak point is that it feels a little bit heavy on slow systems. But in most modern computers (1 Ghz+, 512Mb+) it should feel just fine.

Hope to have helped.

Well I use the norton bundle, anti-virus and firewall. I guess it works, yet again I have no way of knowing that. The problem with norton is that it slows down too much the system.

i use Zone Alarm Security Suite, with Norton Antivirus 2004 Prodont like ZA's Antivirus, but its Firewall is really good!

I also use Norton antivirus as well on my main computer back at home, every time I get some sort of threat or virus it is quarantined and deleted promptly. Also as of right now I don't really need to worry about viruses, in fact I don't even need antivirus software because I have a Macbook. On a sidenote I recommend Macintosh's for all whom only browse the net and don't play video games etc.

I'm no expert either but in my experience I think Zone Alarm, Kaspersky, Avast, and others are the best. They aren't overloaded on system resources, and have good decetion rates, plus the scan speed isn't that bad.I've used Mcafee before... It was horrible. All it ever found were a few cookies. It was heavy on sytem resources. I just didn't feel safe using it.Norton was also bad. Never detected anything. I don't reccomend it.I've used Trend Micro before, It came with my new PC, but I instantly uninstalled it because I had already had a security suite from my past computer.

I've been using Zone Alarm for a few months now and I really like it. Good detection rates, very good firewall, updates regularly, great protection, and it's not heavy on system resources. It also integrates well with other security products you may have, Well tries to, depends if the other product will integrate easy too. I've tried several others that just didn't work for me such as Mcafee, Norton, AVG, Avast etc... (Well some are) It's not that their horrible, but they just didn't suit my needs.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5COMODO Firewall ProfessionalTwo completely free choices, which are ultra-effective, ultra-secure and updated frequently.Need I say any more?