xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pr3dr49

Windows -> Linux Software comparison

you know what it s kinda imposssible to swith from windows to linux thats insane im sure you wont even be able to boot up the linux system, well myabe from linux to windows thats reasonable, but i dont see anyone going to leave the newbish user friendly windows and go to the hard core linux system .

On the contrary, there are many linux distros that are quite newbish. That statement would make a lot of sense ten years ago, but much has been done in the meantime to make linux easy to use.I don't want to be misinterpreted here: I am not saying that it must be done, but I know many people who are doing that, so I just wanted to offer a useful link.

As pr3dr49 said, there are distributions of Linux that are very easy to use, especially if you use X. Take Mandrake, for example - anyone who can move a mouse can use it.

Its more about User Perception than anything else, as Linux is stereotyped as a geek's OS. No matter how much progrees Linux made to become as user friendly as possible, the stigma of being "difficult," "hard," and "ominous" will still haunt it.

And there's also the fact that so few commercial/industry-grade programs are designed for Linux, and that stymies the growth of its user share.

Well, some you can run with Wine, but a limited number. Linux is primarily a working platform. If you are into gaming, than it won't make much of a change for you. Otherwise...

Linux gives you the pride and satisfaction of having 100% control over your OS. Its a glory to have a Linux computer and the person responsible for that must much be respected. Don't look down on Linux users, they have gone through alot and they are probably 10x more skilled that you. As a matter of fact, more Linux users do away with wizards and so on, they simply install the stuff manually. Its hard and tough work.Anyway, Linux is still developing so for the computer newbies like me, we'll drown in the depth of Linux.I tried Linux before as a dual boot with my Windows XP....it worked fine but I totally did not know how to operate the software. After less that a week, I wiped Linux out. Its really hardcore computer jargon and skills. Maybe for some people, this is not the case, but atleast for me, I sux at Linux.

Thanks for the artical, right now I'm running dual operating systems (XP Pro, Mandrake 10.0). Needed a little help finding some things for specific things in Linux :P and this helped!

In fact, the most hard part for me is there are too many MS Office users.And I can't write Word document under Linux.

I think you can try OpenOffice for Linux, an MS Office-compatible open-source software. You can download it from any freeware sites.

In fact, I have been opening and saving MSWord documents without any problem. I hardly ever use excel, but the website of OpenOffice.org claims that works too. You can even setp the Writer (OpenOffice.org writing component, corresponds to MSWord) to use the Word format as its default

In fact, the most hard part for me is there are too many MS Office users.And I can't write Word document under Linux.

yes, you can!

open ofice is as good as ms office...bt you can stil emulate ms office with Crossover Office.

I use Linux and I'm very glad i'm not using windows any more!

best linux for newbies is Mandrake