xisto Community
BooZker

Wikipedia + Myspace = ... An idea for an interesting site

OK ill write back to some of the Qs. I have about 13 things i wanted to reply to. Sorry for the delay. Ok now back to business. Maybe we can get this going no later then a week?

Well atleast I am ready to work on this as soon as it's possible for you guys! :)

I was thinking something like on Blogger or even on Trap 17 when your posting something. What your talking about is just about what i had in mind. Does anyone have any ideas on how to write it? Ill make any icons although most of the icons are fairly normal and used all over.

Well, you mean a simple WYSIWYG editor, right? Well, we have something known as TinyMCE [link] that could help us with this! It's open source and this WYSIWYG editor can be fit into pretty easily, so we don't have to code it right from scratch and it'll be easier now and there are loads of plug-ins available for this and a nice community willing to help I guess. It's 100% Javascript but we can implement AJAX into it if we find someone good in programming AJAX. But I guess it won't be of much help as we'll have a layout set-up and we need a content adder and simply way of letting the users change a bit of HTML and add/edit CSS. But still, have a look and think if we have some use of this. :) Maybe apart from the rest of the page we can use this to add the "autobiography" which would just be one long essay with links. The pics and various other uploads and side-information can be placed elsewhere on the page.

OK rvalkass. How about could you write a script for posting things? Get as much as you can and then when you get to a point where you just add the info like URLs and links and tell me and possibly get an example up?

I would like you to check TinyMCE first, I guess it'll be way easier than having rvalkass code it up from scratch, while TinyMCE will lessen the burden, he can concentrate more on other things as he looks like he can help in many ways! :)

OK. I have an idea and if someone can write it i can place it on my site and add to it, but we need a poll. So we could have just ONE webpage that you go through and vote and then at the end of the week whatever has the most votes, or whatever hits a certain amount of votes before the week is up, will be what happens. Make it with cookies just to make it more of a hassle to vote more then once and i dont want anyone voting more then once, but i dont want people to sign up and everything.

That'd be a good idea but we need candidates (suggesstions) before the poll is set-up first. ;) I guess the internet has various free poll scripts so for now we can work with them! Some of them: StylePoll [link] Advanced Poll Script (HotScripts.com) [link]

I think we should get it after a few months of having it up. I think we should get a domain name asap though. we should have a poll created to vote on a domain name SOON.. We can get paid hosting later when we need it.

Yeah, a domain name is a must, first name has to be decided depending on whether the domain name is available or no as having a different domain and a different name would just not be right. Paid hosting can be left for later, once we are done building the site completely and testing it with the few staff that we would have. Hope the voting takes place soon and we get good available names.

I like the code previous uploads idea a lot. I would want that implemented. As for music, i dont think we need music, but after i thought about it for awhile, we should have it so people can TALK or SPEAK what they wrote for blind or hard of seeing. I wouldnt want music unless it is their created music. This would have people uploading music that isn't theirs but we should have a HARSH email then if they are caught again delete their bio as well as their IP. It would be good for muscians though because their bio would have mostly music stuff.

Uploading music is a good idea, but I still think letting people upload their videos on YouTube and then just embedding it onto their pages would be a way better idea. And these videos would be viewable on YouTube too, which would kinda make our site more popular if someone mentions this in the description section or in the video itself. Yeah, we should ban all those people who are just uploading music which is not theirs, I don't think we should even allow covers of songs. 'cause that's just pointless, show off your talents on YouTube, not here.

thats not a bad idea for a quick fix. I was thinking though you could just push a button on the editor or the actual bio page (if its your bio and your logged in) and it will lock it from non family members or friends.

But that means the family members and the friends must be users of our site, right? We can just better have a password protection to pages too.

This ISNT a social network and this ISNT wikipedia. Once again i will repeat. This is a BIO. On your user page its a PAGE. This will be a book. I would even like it to be able to be downloaded to a PDF with a push of a button so you could download it and print it out and read. It will have pages and a cover and everything.

I guess the PDF conversion PHP script is pretty easy and almost already available, we get a kinda lame one when we install XAMPP. And the internet has loads of them anyways.

I really dont think we should use Wiki anymore. Let's not even talk about it anymore. We will make out own site all hand coded. This will get rid of a lot of hassle. No editing but just make things the way we want right off that bat.

Yeah, using a Wiki is looking useless right now with all the decisions made over the progression of the topic. Yeah, from the scratch totally according to us without following any guidelines of edition. And we'll have to use Perl to edit the Wiki system I guess, so it'd be better off hand coding one of our own.

It doesn't matter. It's their bio. No one will read their bio then. Most of all, im totally not worried about this because why would they? People will be to busy getting the last 30 years of their life typed up.

Yeah, people would be busy writing their own and viewing of people they would like to know more about, or just as a random need for some boredom killing. :P And yeah, people will realize soon that why people aren't reading their bios due to their ugly CSS editing. So they might as well start realizing it.

Others have mentioned this already, but just to make it clear, NO we will not give them PHP. Probably just HTML and CSS.
I don't even know why people thought about PHP here. :P HTML and some CSS, not everything. I guess we should set the divs ready and only customization should be allowed, plus addition of custom divs within a given parent div.

Not at all. This is a bio site and you should have as much freedom to YOUR info as you want. As long as you dont use it to host your stuff and then not write anything then your free to go. even if you were to make every last word hidden to the public, but you actually write stuff go ahead. We would still want you there!
Yeah, exactly, make the stuff only visible to your family, friends or leave it public. As long as you are using the service efficiently without breaking as-of-yet-unwritten rules, you can use the site with full freedom.

As for the name, I still have HAP in my mind, the one you suggested, Human Autobiography Project, but the domain hap.com is already taken. BioPress kinda sounds something like it, I guess? BioPedia sounds like a encyclopedia having autobiographies, so not information on various things, but various common people who might not get a Wikipedia page made for themselves. Currently I just have these in my mind, I'll think of more soon enough.

And help, I would like to help with HTML, CSS and half the graphics or all of 'em if you want me to. I know this is not much but this will be done by me so you guys can concentrate more on the more important stuff like PHP and everything else. If we ever have a blog or a forum for our site, I would like to maintain that. ;)

OK i'm just waiting for people to respond to this topic some more. If not I'll personaly message and get everyone ready or have people do things and we can just name it. I think we have like 4 or 5 people willing to help. Once again. If you want to help please respond saying "I AM WILLING TO HELP" and then tell us what you can do. I ask you read about what things we were going to do with the site and state what you could help with and ill make a list and put up some deadlines and if people start to slack on them we can either give them help with others who arent doing anything or got something done, or have them do something else.

Too much of a social network. I wouldn't be comfortable putting so much information all over th net. And if it is a wiki then people would be able to change it. I don't like the whole idea. I'm not sure whether I would sign up for such a thing.

Ya...that would be just great.If at all we have such a service we would be able to form relations with almost all people win the world. Like i add some information about me and all characters involved can be linked to their profiles and so on.Then at one point you will be linked to almost all in one way or the other.Also there need not be any friends as such since everything is linked. Also like articles in wiki, individuals can do events of their own and link to others profiles and events(There is much possibility that more than one is involved in a particular event.).The idea is just great...hats off.

When I first read the OP, I was thinking more of a time-capsule sort of deal. Almost.Like let's say that someone puts out as much information about themselves as they wish to. Not social security numbers or driver's license information or any ID-theft material... but information ABOUT a person. It will be like the MySpace/Facebook "About Me" section on steroids... not full of stupid surveys or that crap, but actual content like driving style, mannerisms, thoughts on political issues, etc. And people would comment about memories or factual statements that confirm what is put out by the Wiki owner.I would be interested in something like this. :)

I attached a screen shot.I have had numerous accounts of people saying they would want to use and they are waiting. I don't have the time to do ALL of this by myself and I have had some problems with other people getting back to me and stuff. If anyone can contribute ANY time let me know. This will be a great site if it was up and running. Not many people have said they WOULDN'T like it.

post-22661-1191369399_thumb.jpg

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

i think you may have something there. as self centered and narsasistic as people are. im sure there would be a full blown data base about people. it would be like a people search but with all types of information that the individual could disclose. the bad thing i am afraid the governement might try and take it over to gain an advantage over people. i am almost 100% sure the government owns facebook and myspace. what better way to get into the lives of people than an anonymous open profile? good marketing solution too!

I am ready to work on it. But I think that this project will stop. Why Because there are so many social networks all over the world and this one is not in fact different then any other.But if you need someone. I am quite good with PHP meanwhile I really suck in design.

I would probably not use this. Basically, because I don't want loads of information about me available to the general public.It's quite a good idea though and I applaud you for that.