xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SamiFX

Vista 64-bit On Amd Athlon

I have a question for the experts on Xisto Forum ... My friend has installed the new version of windows vista ultimate, but when he go to the characteristics of the system properties find that the type is 32-bit operating system and not 64-bit , although he has the AMD Athlon 64 bit processor in his PC . I told him that I think there is a version of windows which is 64-bit as I think .... how about this problem?!!

There is a specific version of Windows Vista that is made just for 64-bit computers. Code between 32-bit programming and 64-bit programming changes quite a lot, thus there needing to be two different versions.

Yes, there are two versions of the operating system: a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version. To make advantage of a 64-bit processor you need to buy the 64-bit version. My computer came with XP pre-installed. I have an AMD Athlon 64 processor, but the 32-bit version of XP was all they would install. It is vital that you check exactly which version you are buying to make sure you get the most from it.

However, as a side note I should add that even if the operating system can handle 64-bit code, it doesn't mean that the applications can. Compilers need to be rewritten, and since there are still a lot of 32-bit machines it will still be a while before we see all 64-bit software.

Thanks for your help .. I think Windows 32-bit is better at this nowadays as I see theres is not much softwares that supports 64-bit system ...

I currently use 64-bit WinVista Ultimate operating system, I like it alot though it doesn't allow me to play cnc3 so i have to reboot into xp everytime but anyway, more an more software are moving towards the 64-bit coding so I suggest changing to 64bit sometime late this or early next year

You should go with 32-bit, because, as Microsoft admitted, '64-bit edition is not for everyone'. For instance it won't allow unsigned drivers which may sound good but is indeed very limiting. And you won't be able to feel the difference unless you are running 64-bit software with heavy CPU usage, which is, let's say, not common to find (WinRAR for example would be good stuff if 64-bit compatible, but it is not). I'm using 32-bit Vista Ultimate and 32-bit Linux Mint and I'm on a Core 2 Duo.