xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rosaline

Tanning Do You Do It?

Personally, I don't go tanning in tanning beds because of the whole skin cancer thing (minor detail XD)... still, I've always thought about it, just because of how high society holds tan skin compared to pale skin.I have my own ways to "tan" though and was wondering what you all thought about the pros and cons of tanning beds?I usually just spend a lot of time outside on sunny days and hope to get a natural one. Or, for winter and colder days, I'll use tanning lotion. I use Bath and Body Works tanning lotion, it doesn't leave streaks and generally comes out with a good, natural looking tan color. I'm assuming some people have had bad experiences with the lotion and was wondering if there were any brands to avoid or brands that worked very well. I've never really used a bad brand. The only bad thing about lotion is that it takes awhile to slather it all on, sometimes you can miss spots, and sometimes if your skin is rougher in certain areas it will be a weird dark orange color. So you have to be careful and apply it lightly to these areas.Also, it has a smell. It's not necessarily bad, it's sort of citrusy but it's not always pleasant. It smells real bad until you shower four hours later, but even after you shower it still lingers some. It's not horrible, but I usually don't use the lotion the night before I have a big date or anything. Don't want to cover up the pheremones :lol:;;Any other personal experiences or horror stories? Or do you just use tanning beds?Oh, another thing about tanning beds... the ones here are so expensive! I find it cheaper to just get the lotion or hang out outside.

For some reason, for men, it doesn't really matter as much. I only went to the tanning bed once, and that was with my girlfriend cuz she made me. Its really not that bad, it does get boring, so make sure you have like a boombox in there, after the movie final destination 3 was made, i doubt many people use tanning beds as much!

,well i never ever tan, i hate tanning, i can't sit still in the sun,i always have to do something, and indeed the same as u, i also use ,tanning lotion, i like the stuff i also use it for my face, and the funny stuf is sometimes it gets in my hair and my hair turns orange:P,but anyway my tip for u is, to go tannin in a normal way, or try exercising in the morning sun, that wil give u a nice tan i can promise u i do it all the time in the summer, or on sunny days even,i think tanning is a waste of time ...greetz crazy

Well I am not really sure about this but as far as I know that tanning is UV based and I am very very sure about UV causing major skin cancer as this is one of the problems faced with ozone depletion. Well personally since I already am pretty brownish as I am Indian originated I do not need a tan and would not like one. Plus when you can just lie outside with your friends then why use a tanning bed.Basically depends on the person requiring a tan because at some people it looks so red that it becomes ugly but at some people it really suits their personality. Like I said before depends on your origin for example an Indian person going for a tan would not be such a great idea as he would just come back black. This argument can go on forever but this is for sure an unhealthy practice.

Yeah, men are lucky that it really doesn't matter, lol. And I agree that after Final Destination 3 people might fear tanning XD That scene was fabulously disturbing, lol. If I ever heard that Roller Coaster song while in a tanning bed I would definitely freak out.Exercising outside is a good idea... that's double benefits. Exercise plus you get a tan. :lol:

Well, tanning is supposed to be unhealthy, however I believe that if you keep your skin clean and moisturized you should be okay. Tanning beds aren't too good, and the kind of tans where they shine lights and stuff like that on you, is bad. Lotion is far better. Or natural tans are fine as long as you put moisturizer on your skin as you are tanning it every few minutes to keep the tan healthy.

i usually dont need to tan. mainly because i am natuarally tan (i am caucasian) and if i do, i get really dark, it looks good tho. i have used tanning beds (my friend has 1 in his basement) so occasionally i do that. otherwise, i just work outside and get tan or when im in florida, i get really dark there! so natural tan looks better, but tanning beds are really close, however, i dont really like lotions (never used, but they can look bad) because a lot of people use them and they look orange...do what u feel comfortable with. i suggest natural tanning =) but thats just me.

I never have and never will intentionally tan. First off, I'm so pale to begin with, I burn within 15-20 minutes of continual sun exposure lol Second, there is a STRONG family history of malignant melanoma and other skin cancers...therefore, tanning is out for me!

Well, i prefer the natural methods of tanning. This is because my friend Chelsea went tanning, and they forgot about her.And artificial tanning makes your skin leathery and dry and nasty.The beach is the way to go.

Yes there was a time when I used to be a compulsive tanner, but then I learned that excessive exposure to the sun may lead to problems of skin cancer therefore I have now stopped it completely, though some of my friends still debate challenging the findings or the studies which emphasized the same I would never want to take any chances. After all the risk has been named skin cancer and I know pretty well what a dreadful disorder this can be.

the skin cancer in a tanning bed thing is A MYTH! NOT REAL!it's been tested repeatedly and the end result is the same: You can NOT get skin cancer from tanning especially if you're using a tanning bed in a salon.nor can a tanning bed cook you from the inside out. It's well documented. whoever told you that cancer crap is obviously trying to scare you. Just don't believe everything you hear or you'll never do anything fun:)

Personally, I don't go tanning in tanning beds because of the whole skin cancer thing (minor detail XD)... still, I've always thought about it, just because of how high society holds tan skin compared to pale skin.
I have my own ways to "tan" though and was wondering what you all thought about the pros and cons of tanning beds?

I usually just spend a lot of time outside on sunny days and hope to get a natural one. Or, for winter and colder days, I'll use tanning lotion. I use Bath and Body Works tanning lotion, it doesn't leave streaks and generally comes out with a good, natural looking tan color. I'm assuming some people have had bad experiences with the lotion and was wondering if there were any brands to avoid or brands that worked very well. I've never really used a bad brand. The only bad thing about lotion is that it takes awhile to slather it all on, sometimes you can miss spots, and sometimes if your skin is rougher in certain areas it will be a weird dark orange color. So you have to be careful and apply it lightly to these areas.

Also, it has a smell. It's not necessarily bad, it's sort of citrusy but it's not always pleasant. It smells real bad until you shower four hours later, but even after you shower it still lingers some. It's not horrible, but I usually don't use the lotion the night before I have a big date or anything. Don't want to cover up the pheremones :P;;

Any other personal experiences or horror stories? Or do you just use tanning beds?

Oh, another thing about tanning beds... the ones here are so expensive! I find it cheaper to just get the lotion or hang out outside.

well i live in a beach in california, so i dont find it dificult getting tanned, the weather is horribly warm/hot
& even if i didnt i would never tan, i mean first of all it smells, and its scary to use tanning beds.. (i mean) have you
watched final destination 3? that killed it for me

the scene where the 2 blonde chicks are in the tanning bed, and get stuck because of a piece of wood that fell, and
just lay there getting hotter & hotter, until they eventuly die when they set in fire(horrible, couldnt sleep for days after that movie, i was paranoid)

/giselle

I used to tan every summer, but I've stopped now that I've learnt even the most top models & celebrities look fabulous with the more healthier fake tan. I used to hate fake things, like fake hair extensions, fake hair colour, fake bags even (ahaha) but you really have to think about your health. Health comes first before anything.

I've never done any form of tanning in my life and I never intend to. I have the palest skin of anyone I know so I usually end up burning even with massive sunblock on. Tanning would just be asking for trouble.